• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrels The Fun Way

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Aldridge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I had a hankerin for some fried squirrel and decided to take my Traditions Shenandoah .36 flinter into the woods. It had been a while since I had shot it so I was hoping that it was still sighted in. The little rodents weren't being cooperative and I was getting impatient and taking long shots, I missed two. Later in the morning one sat on a log 25 yards from me and had the courtesy to sit still while I settled my rifle against a tree and set the trigger and squeezed off a round, the animal disappeared. I decided to get up and walk over to the log and found it dead. Another presented me with an opportunity and he ended up on the ground as well. Missed 2, got 2, had to leave the woods at noon but I was satisfied.
My rifle shoots a roundball best with 40 grains of 3f and .018" pillow ticking lubed with Stumpkiller's Moosesnot.

WP_20131116_002_zpsfdd09093.jpg

That's a pretty nice piece of wood on that Traditions!

Congrats on the squirrels. I grew up hunting squirrels as a kid...everyone did it then. Now, except for the traditional muzzleloading crowd, I hardly ever see anything about it anymore. Glad to be part of a group of folks that appreciate all game!

@Spikebuck...to tell the truth, I would almost rather hunt squirrels than deer. There is so much time and money with licensing and gear that deer hunting becomes almost an obligation and loses some of the fun factor. Going out in the woods after smallgame without a care in the world is just plain fun with the added pleasure of good food.

Thanks for sharing your hunt :thumbsup:
Squirrel stew!

Spike..You are for getting The Hmong hunters they love to squirrel hunt.
And they are good at it..not many left when they are through. :surrender:
Just the way it is here.

Bushy tails, White tails,
It really doesn't matter.
It is all fun with a longrifle.

PJC

Good going fellow, and congrats. Like fishing, the worst day out beats the best day at work(also covers yard work, kids' TV, honey-doos, traffic and crowds)!! :wink: :haha:

You guys shooting squirrels are making me want to bag some! Looks like you had a great morning hunt! :hatsoff:

:hatsoff: Congratulations!

Nice story and hunt.
I love those squirrel hunting stories.

Silex

Nice work! I've just recently rediscovered the joys of squirrel hunting after a long hiatus. Fried in gravy & served with wild rice and biscuits, can't beat it.

Latest posts

Back