• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stalking or still hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a gun that's my favorite type of hunting. There's nothing like just knowing a general area of the woods you want to sit in then find a nice tree over a trail to sit against. I thought I had a nice spot last weekend. I sat on a fairly steep hill and the spot had low briers in front for cover and I had a great view. A heavily used path in front of me and no deer. I'm going to spy on them with the trail cam to see when they use that trail. My guess is it might be a night kinda thing. But I do know in late parts of the season that there is normally 3 or 4 deer that live in this region. So during the late winter seasons I'll just stalk into this spot with the wind in my face and hope for the best.

With some rain and snow coming in today it looks like I'm going to still hunt. Gonna keep my armpit over the lock and the muzzle down and I'll be alright.

luie b said:
With some rain and snow coming in today it looks like I'm going to still hunt. Gonna keep my armpit over the lock and the muzzle down and I'll be alright.

I'm about to do the same. I have an expected day off so I think it's time to go ooze around Osceola.

Rained pretty hard the entire morning but saws 5 deer. 2 different groups, all does and none of them were still all were kind of trotting. My gun and powder stayed dry and fired perfectly at the end of the hunt.

KHickam said:
Hey Guys;

I have been a fairly successful hunter - but all the deer I have killed have been from ambush or they just happened to cross the road I was walking down or trail.

I have never really consciously stalked a deer - yes I walk quietly as I can and keep my eyes open but I am wondering if the more experienced stalkers would share some insights?

:thumbsup:

Dan'l

Stalking, in my view, implies that you KNOW exactly where the critter is BEFORE you start out. It starts with a differant technique of FIRST spot the game...Often times from far-ish away. Good binocs and patience are helpfull. Froma car, high on a ridge, etc you pick apart the landscape untill you find your quary THEN you make a plan. Topograpgy, wind direction, time of day, what the anilmal is doing like beded down or moving; and off you go to get "close" then sneak closer - to with in range and bang!

Let me add KHickam.

What you're doing is still hunting. You just hope you'll run into a deer. Sometimes you get lucky and get a deer, but it's not 1/10 as effective as glassing/stalking.

You should spend as much for optics as you do for your gun.

You'll be amazed how many deer you'll see when glassing.

Now, Pete...Ain't we being contradictory here? Using modern optics along with your front-stuffer? Ain't that kinda like usin' that Pyrodex stuff? :rotf:

All kidding aside, I couldn't agree with you more. Good optics are almost as good as "being there", especially in low-light condition, where optics separate "good" from "great" optics. Glass and stalk works well, even in the thick Wisconsin/ Minnesota woods where I hunt, and 100 yards is a loooooong shot with 0-50 being typical.
Still hunting is sometimes defined as "Walk Little, Sit Lots" with good reason. And good glass lets you "walk" without even taking a step.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back