• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting charge for these new conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 777 could be part of the problem but that's what they had when I was buying stuff so that's what I got. I did get the magnum caps though.
I saw on another post here
where guys were talking about being able to start with their thumb instead of a short stater.
I was swabbing between every shot once up an down with a damp patch. I just soaked the cleaning patch in water and then wrung it out.
I wasn't able to find any of the fired patches out in the field. How far should I be looking anyway? It was raining pretty hard and I got my shoes really muddy.

Easiest I've found is to have someone stand off to the side a little and watch for them. Short of someone else to watch, start looking 8' out or so, shifting downwind a little if there's any breeze. Unless you really want to open your group, don't try and do the watching on your own. Raises cob with your follow-through.

Just guessing, but your wiping patches might be too wet. If you have to wring them out its a good chance some moisture is being left behind.

Thumb starting is only viable with a coned barrel. If a ball will thumb start in an un-coned barrel the load is waaaaay too loose.

I own two Pedersoli muzzle loaders and both misfired more than my other guns. I was shooting Triple 7 in those days. On the advice of a friend I made the hole in the nipple slightly larger with a small drill on my Dremel tool and have had no problems since. Pedersoli nipples are notorious for having a very small flash hole in the nipple, I was told. In my case it wasn't the powder.

Back