• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting early

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Only have 4 more months to get ready for deer season here in Eastern Oklahoma.
Hunting in wooded area and food plots limit my shots to mostly 75 yds or less.
Been trying to decide which rifle to take. A 50 cal. T.C. Renegade with a drop in Green Mountain Barrel in 1/48 twist. Or my T.C. 56 Cal T.C. Smoothbore.
The 50 Cal. Renegade can keep a 3 inch group at 75 yds. The 56 Cal Smoothbore can keep all shots in a 6 inch circle very easily at 50 yds. Both rifles shoot RB only.
Might take both with me and let the hunting ground dictate what gun to take that day.
Now if I can just decide what color of camo to wear so it will not clash with my gear. :idunno:

Vearl said:
Might take both with me and let the hunting ground dictate what gun to take that day.

That's what I do. Whether hunting from home, from a camp, or from a long range boat, I like to have options to match the conditions of the day.

On the flip side, I can usually match my habitat choice to a particular gun. If I want to hunt short range, I can pick the gun and the place for that. Long range, same thing.

You all got me hooked on this smoothbore hunting. Now I would really like to take a deer with it. Can't wait for the season to start.
By the way, I load 80 Gr. of 3fff and an over powder card. Followed up with a lubed patched (0.10) .550 RB. A little tight, but if a second shot is needed then I can load and shoot a patched .535 RB easily.

Vearl said:
You all got me hooked on this smoothbore hunting. Now I would really like to take a deer with it. Can't wait for the season to start.
By the way, I load 80 Gr. of 3fff and an over powder card. Followed up with a lubed patched (0.10) .550 RB. A little tight, but if a second shot is needed then I can load and shoot a patched .535 RB easily.
Wish you the best...yeah, I've come to love a smoothbore and always like to christen them on deer. And I love deer hunting but at best its 6 shots per year and its over for another 12 months.

So my main interest in smoothbores is really for shot loads because it opens up so many more hunting opportunities going after squirrels, turkey, even trying the crows a couple times...

Time to put out the trail cameras,,tried to do it P/C,,H/C but the wife refused to set and take notes while watching the deer trail,,,,
Good scouting and better hunting and great shooting...
Wont matter which rifle you take,,,you should have used the other one,,"Murphy" dictates.

I told my wife I wasn't crazy...lot's of people start planning for deer season during the summer, I have the count down calendar on my desk..

10 weeks/3 days till bow season
19 weeks till gun season (I use my flintlock)
22 weeks till ML season

Back