• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting leather projects/pouch making

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got the book "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" by T.C. Albert from TOW...and want to get started in this craft.

What are some of your preferred places to order all your leather working supplies, including tools, leather, thread, etc? Specifically, who have you had good experiences with and who is the "market leader" in this area? As I said, I'm just getting into this and would like to have a bit of a foundation with various websites.

Thanks!

I've had very good experiences with Springfield Leather. Unlike most of the other leather suppliers that I have dealt with, Springfield will cut certain types of leather so you don't have to buy a whole hide or side. Their shipping rates are also very reasonable.

JD

horner75 said:
http://www.theleatherguy.org/
+1
Keith and Tracy are some great folks, still do the local Rendezvous when time allows.
Easy to talk to and know their stuff.
Just tell'm what you want to do, how much experiance you have(n't) and they'll set ya up.
Really miss their "Scrap Boxes" at the vous,,

Spotted pony is a good source for leather. I myself live in an Amish area and have lots of leather shops to choose from their scrap piles to find what I need as well as Weaver leather for supplies.But you need a venders license to buy from Weaver. :idunno:

what kind of leather do people recommend for a possibles bag? I've read on other posts that buckskin is not the best. For historical accuracy, does one go with buffed or plain leather? Does anyone have a hammerstall pattern? I figure its best to start small. Thanks!

my eldest daughter makes leather garments for the renaissance faire circuit, so I get my scraps for free ... she deals with Weaver and is generally satisfied with them, but i've had good luck with Tandy ... haven't tried any of the other suppliers.

i'd make my first pouch out of 5-6 oz hide ... use the veg. tan stuff, which is easy to work with and holds stain well.

p.s. don't make the mistake i did: use brass buckles, not nickle plated.

Albert's book is great, by the way ... if he can explain it to a dunce such as myself, it must me well written ...

you may find that the needles from Tandy are hard to thread with their waxed linen ... go with the real Irish stuff and you won't have any problems.

good luck with your first bag- don't worry about buying a bunch of tools ... this is pretty simple and you need not get very fancy for 'kit,' although you will make more bags once you get your first one done ...

:wink: :wink: :wink:

don't ask me how i know ; i'm now in a state where i have an project on the bench pretty much all the time. Soon i'll have a bag for each gun, and then i'll have to start selling them, or giving them away or, no, wait! i can build more guns! YES, that's the answer!

my opinion, for what its worth, is to use 2 to 3 oz veg tan leather. Its thinner and easier to work with than thicker leather. Veg tan can be molded and dyes very easily and is more PC than chrome tanned hide.

Back