• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Still looking for .015 cotton

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
My search continues.
Per recommendation of a couple members, I tried some drill cloth. It mic'd about the same as the ticking I use which is pretty thick at .018-.020 and works great in my rifles that like ticking.
However, I still can't find anything that mics .015. All I find at the fabric store mic's at .010 and the patches blow with light charges.
Anyone find that magic .015 yet?

HD

Try some Linnen, specifically Irish linnen, if you can find it at the fabric store. I bought a couple of yards of .015 and have been hoarding it for about 20 years now, Linnen is very tough, and even with a large sized ball, I have never had a tear through. Make sure you buy 100% linnen, read the edge of the bolt. many are cotton/linnen blend, for price point. 100% IRISH linnen will cost about $16.00 per[url] yard.In[/url] my .36 flint, thats ALOT of shooting with a yard of fabric!

Last edited by a moderator:
$16 sure sounds expensive but if you look at the price of pre-cut patches it's a bargain.
I get my pillow ticking at Wal-Mart for $3.77 per yard.
I don't really NEED .015 fabric. I shoot ticking all of the time. I've just been looking for some .015 for my pistol.
Maybe I'll try a smaller ball with the thicker patch.

HD

Hi All

the bigest problem is what is the thickness of that linen or pillow ticking.

Pressure on the material is hard to keep constant. I never was sure what the size was and i was using a micrometer.

the troble is that constant pressure on the anvil is what you really need.

I finally came up with a repeatable measuring method using a constant load amd pressure foot and a dial indicator.

it is simple to do and I would be happy to share what I did with any one who is interested.

Just Email me

Don Stuart
[email protected]

Muslin cloth is close to a .015 and has a very tight weave.A precut .015 patch will compress somewares around .008.find some muslin cloth that compresses close to .008 and you will be right in the ball park.It also seems to be a tougher fabric because of its tight weave.

i found mine at wally world.I decided a while back i needed some kind of standard for measuring fabric.I use a caliper with the gauge.i had some .018 tc ticklen that was unlubed in .018.I found out if i tighten the calper as tight as i can with the fingers to get the compressed no. and then just release the pressure i got a .018 reading out of a .018 tc unlubed patch.seemed like a good standard so i stuck with it.
The muslin i have here is .008 with the big squeeze and released it reads .012.Ive found it will do every thing a .015 will do.If you measure enough fabric you may find one close.If you have a unlubed .015 patch that you ussally use maybe you ert to give it a reading on your calper or mike.yours may not measure the same as mine.
dontcha just love the looks them girls working in the fabric department give ya :youcrazy: :haha:

Huntin Dawg said:
Still looking for .015 cotton, anyone find that magic .015 yet?

HD

Have you measured light weight denim yet?

Not the heavier cloth used for blue jeans, but the lighter stuff for denim shirts...

Musketman is correct.I have sum i plum forgot about that is that magical .015.It compresses down to .010 on my caliper.An indingo denuim i belive.Even still have the reciet,musta had plains on buying more but never did.I paid 9.97 for 2 yards of it at the local walley world.From the looks of it i still have most of it left.If i remember right it held up ok,i think i switched over to the ticklen or sumthin.For some reason i never used much of it.

Huntin Dawg .... I have a whole bunch of .015 cotton you can have if you give me a hollar. These are 100% white cotton table cloths I got for free and they mic'd .015 after I washed them. If you want a big piece of this cotton cloth, Give me a hollar at [email protected] and I just send it to ya .... I was going to char up a bunch of it .....
Ohio Rusty

I can get all the cotton twill you could use just for the postage (and small handling).
Twill is what is used in blue jeans. Different "weights" but one is danged close to .015.
this wouldbe white raw material. No die, sizing, just plain cloth. 60-66" wide.
By the way, red stripe ticking is "bed tickin' and is .014-.016
Blue is heavier pillow ticking at about .018 (ish).
I may have the bed/pillow thing backwards,, but the color is diff. thickness.
Wifes grandma said so!

I might just take you up on that.
I've been using the red ticking for a long time.
I never tried the blue, I thought it was the same. I'll get some blue today and try it.

:hatsoff:
HD

I might take your offer also.
Let me try some blue ticking and see what it mic's at.

When I find the fabric I'm looking for I am going to buy a whole roll of it.

HD

Remember, this is Twill not Ticking mat'l.
Like a good pair of jeans it has the diagonal lines on one side only. I used it for .45 & .515 smoothie with good success. Tight weave.
Let me know.
[email protected]
PS, if you don't mind washing it,,, I think I can get it in Woodland Camo and/or Woodland Mapat (USMC).(a personal hint :hmm: )

riarcher said:
Remember, this is Twill not Ticking mat'l.
Like a good pair of jeans it has the diagonal lines on one side only. I used it for .45 & .515 smoothie with good success. Tight weave.
Let me know.
[email protected]
PS, if you don't mind washing it,,, I think I can get it in Woodland Camo and/or Woodland Mapat (USMC).(a personal hint :hmm: )

You just turned on a light bulb in my head!
I have a bunch of old BDU's. I never thought of using my old uniforms for patches.
I'm going to mic some tonight to see how it looks.

Thanks! :hatsoff:

HD

I just mic'd some old summer weight BDU.
.015!!!
One problem. It's 50% nylon/50% cotton.

DOH!

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
I just mic'd some old summer weight BDU.
.015!!!
One problem. It's 50% nylon/50% cotton.

DOH!

HD

So just use the 50% cotton side twice... :grin:

Unfortunately, the nylon will melt, drat, foiled again...

Solution: Use the 50% nylon/50% cotton patched roundball with a wonder wad between them to work as a fire wall... :hmm:

I've a couple of light weight 100% cotton flanel shirts I can sell you. Guarentted .015, just measured them.
Really, I just checked, Sitting right here beside me is some .015/.016 Twill, 100% cotton, Printed in Marpat Camo (USMC). I "snagged" it before it went to finish so there is no sizing or anything in it yet. Probably 62" wide by 4 yds. long.
Want it?
Trade you, if you want it, send me something useful to a musketeer after you get it and decide whats, what.
Can't help you more than that.
I've used it as a blind a few times, but I can get more. Couldbe in the mail Monday.

Latest posts

Back