• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Still reading print media?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up reading Outdoor Life, Field and Stream and Sports Afield and continued subscribing for many years, but eventually let them lapse because they dumbed them down so much and the quality of the writing became so poor. Just glossy pics, "where to go" articles and the writers pimping high tech stuff. The only mags in a print format that I subscribe to now are Muzzleloader and Traditional Bowhunter. Curious about the rest of you. Always looking for suggestions.
When your batteries die in your electronic thingy, good old paper still works.
Though it is bulky. But I like it

I have subscriptions to half a dozen magazine besides Muzzleloader. I also frequent a used book store and usually bring home a half dozen books on various subjects each time I go there. I read a lot. I read at the breakfast table. I read in the afternoon before dinner. I read at night before going to bed. I read while sitting in my deer blind. I like the printed word in my own hands. I collect first editions and books signed by the author. My house contains more books than some small libraries.
While I might read two or three paper/hardcover books a month, a friend of mine reads five or more, each and every month. Now, he is a really prolific reader!
I research some things on the Internet and read the results, but comparatively, I don't read much online. In general, I just don't like electronics. Heck, I don't even have a phone. :thumb:

Muzzleloader
Muzzle Blasts
Wild Sheep
Epic Outdoors

Agree with others that Outdoor Life, F&S, etc have gotten too watered down and simplistic. Made another run at Guns and Ammo couple of years ago, but it’s just massively repetitive with polymer pistols and AR’s.
Many have commented on the flood of plastic pistols; I like all types so I get many magazines.

I’ve quit magazines. I was a long time subscriber to the Backwoodsman. They would have muzzleloader and firearms articles in every issue. They featured self sufficient and survival articles plus tons of DIY. Just before the founder turned it over to Junior it started to change. By the time the founder died it was a different magazine altogether. Finally they priced me out of their market. It was a case of diminishing returns. The more it cost the less I got out of i
I started subscribing to Backwoodsman in about 1981 faithfully every year I wrote Charlie a letter with my subscription
I hated to see him pass and I know a new generation is coming up ,but I'm not reading it like I used to
I've let the subscription run out and look at it on the newsstand but$10 a copy is a mite steep
Ihave most of my original issues and reread them often
Fur-fish-game is going the same path I fear and I dropped it as well
I still get traditional Bowhunter and it's the last one
I changed Things changed whatever I just don't have the money anymore for some things

Only one I still get every issue of is Fur Fish & Game. Been "reading" it since before I could read as a little feller. One article I remember the most was written about a guys grandma. How she would shoot squirrel with a small caliber ML and make squirrel gravy for the kids. She used homemade powder, and only would shoot them off the sides of trees, so she could dig the ball out with her pocket knife. Spark was lit, I own 4 small caliber ML's . And yes, I did snap the tip off of a pocket knife once trying to dig a ball out of an oak tree.🙄
When I was a kid I couldn't afford magazines,my cousin would give me his old FFG I ate up every article
The really great cover pictures that spoke to me where cut out and varnished onto split shingles and that was the art work in my bedroom until I left home
I still have years of them that I reread and get nostalgic when I read some of them from the 70's especially the great fur prices we enjoyed back then!

I used to buy FF&G off the rack at the supermarket but they no longer carry it. Seems like a lot of hunting/firearms related pubs are no longer there. :(
It's the only thing I look forward to going to Walmart for. I don't know why I just don't get a subscription. I've been buying it off the rack forever. I can't explain half the dumb things I do or don't do Cruiser. If I was rich, I'd be called eccentric, but since I'm not, I'm just garden variety crazy.

Now only NRA's American Shooter, one car owner club magazine, Harley owners mag and Mother Earth News. Growing up pre internet at one time or another I have subscribed to at least 4 car mags, 3 motorcycle mags, 4 gun mags, 2 pilot mags, Time, Newsweek, Air Classics and Hot Rod Magazine. I canceled National Geographic due to getting tired of being blamed for the world's troubles. Same with Air and Space mag and Smithsonian after they turned Commie and wanted to turn the restored "Enola Gay" into a sympathetic showcase for the Japanese and portraying America as the bad guy. Our local newspaper is now owned by USA Today and is shell of it's former self, I canceled home delivery due to poor service and now read it online.

I started subscribing to Backwoodsman in about 1981 faithfully every year I wrote Charlie a letter with my subscription
I hated to see him pass and I know a new generation is coming up ,but I'm not reading it like I used to
I've let the subscription run out and look at it on the newsstand but$10 a copy is a mite steep
Ihave most of my original issues and reread them often
Fur-fish-game is going the same path I fear and I dropped it as well
I still get traditional Bowhunter and it's the last one
I changed Things changed whatever I just don't have the money anymore for some things
S of D Glry, I agree with you. The only two magazines I subscribed to were the two you mentioned. I guess I’m so old I remember the glory days of magazines. Like so many other things in our lives our children and grandchildren will never understand that we grew up in the Golden Era of our great nation.

All I read is print. Muzzle Blasts, Muzzleloader, American Rifleman, North South Trader's Civil War, Traditional Homes, Southern Living, Better Homes and Gardens, Alumni News from The Citadel, the publication from American Battlefield Trust, and all books I order from the History Book Club. I'm old fashioned and reading online magazines and books is not traditional to me. It's like reading the Bible on a phone in church. Nothing much nicer than sitting down and flipping pages on a good magazine or book.

S of D Glry, I agree with you. The only two magazines I subscribed to were the two you mentioned. I guess I’m so old I remember the glory days of magazines. Like so many other things in our lives our children and grandchildren will never understand that we grew up in the Golden Era of our great nation.
Well said.

The one I really miss is Colonial Homes from the 1980s and 90s. My wife and I always enjoyed that. Lots of houses 200 to 300 years old in that one, everything from farm houses dating from the late 1600s to early 1700s to mansions and in each issue a section on historic properties for sale.

Still get magazines, reading off a computer isn't for me. Besides Muzzleloader & Muzzleblasts, I get the American Rifleman, which has a few articles I like, especially the old gun sections, Since i collect old guns, Man at Arms is a must, informative articles & Mowbray's editorials are a blast. Also Gun Tests, but actually may give up on that one as I am not really interested in new guns.

Back