• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock Carving Machine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmeredith

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know what kind of machines carve gun stocks for mass production. I've always wondered how they do that.

It's called a Duplicator, Rifle stocks aren't the only thing, many things can be made up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUr5IFXNT0A

A friend has a duck decoy carving supply house an they knock out rough blanks for carving.
They tried gun stocks but needed new tool heads to do the job right,,too much $$$ for them to make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the old days it was a massive machine duplicator. A master which was a large version of the stock was spun. Styluses rode the contours of the master and it's shape was duplicated mechanically on a smaller stock sized spinning piece of wood.
This system was used on Garands in WWII and probably the M-14. I'm pretty sure it goes back to the CW, maybe all the way back to the M-1795.
Today they have smaller computer controlled machines.

Mark,
There is a duplicating machine at the Springfield Armory in Massachusetts that was used before and during the civil war. When I was there a number of years ago it was still operating, as a demonstration.
Mark

In William N. Blane’s book "An Excursion through the United States and Canada, during the Years 1822-3", he has this to say:

Manufactories for small arms are established in different States of the Union and supported by Government. The two principal ones are at Springfield in Massachusetts, and at Harper's in Virginia, at both which places the workmen employed are the best that can be obtained. Among a variety of very curious and useful machines that have been adopted for assisting labour, I was most struck with one that is made use of to turn the gun stocks; and I can see no reason why same principle might not be applied to the turning of wooden busts, as well as to a thousand purposes. An iron model of the gun-stock called "a former" directs, while revolving, a small cutting instrument, which in a short time fashions the piece of wood placed in the machine into a complete stock for a musket, with the exception of hollowing out the place to receive the barrel and the lock. All the musket stocks of the United States' army are made by this machine, which might certainly be used in dock-yards to the greatest possible advantage.

Spence

sc45-70 has got it - the duplicating lathe invented by Thomas Blanchard & patented around 1818-19. Using sort of a shaper head as a cutter, it could carve the exterior of a gunstock (or axe handles or other irregular forms). There are examples at the Springfield Armory Museum & at the Smithsonian.

Left and right shoes were available prior to Blanchard's birth.
:thumbsup:

Thomas Blanchard and his stock turning lathe:

http://www.nps.gov/ns/spar/historyculture/thomas-blanchard.htm

The first one was put into service at Springfield Armory in 1822.

There are several on the market.
Terrco makes several models.
I thought I could have a nice sideline duplicating stocks. Project fell through. I had two of the Terrco #200 model machines. Way to light weight and akward to use. I finally sold at a big loss. :(
Going into their heavy duty, high production, models is quite expensive but the only way if you are serious about a business. The other option for duplicating just for yourself involves a bandsaw, rasps and a lot of sandpaper. And time.

crockett said:
There's one at Harper's Ferry.

And at Springfield as well as at the Smithsonian. About 20 years ago, the one at the Smithsonian was set up and a video of it in operation ran continually. If I recall correctly it was making a M1842 musket stock.

Interesting.
I'll betcha that operator says "WHAT?". A lot.
Machine is not at all similar to the Terrco professionals.
There was a five head Terrco for sale in Clarksville, AR. A call to Powder, Inc. might lead someone to the seller, a widow.

I have watched many videos on duplicators most are using 5 axis CNC Mills now. Looks like a cross between a Mill and Lathe.

MeteorMan said:
Here's how Pecatonica River does it.

Pecatonica duplicator

That looks like a North Star duplicator. I've used one with 12 cutting heads. Scary machine. With 6 motors driving 12 cutters, and those flat drive belts, you cannot hear yourself think.

Latest posts

Back