• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stock finish help?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintbuilder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am finishing two rifles, a leman and a jacob dickert from pecatonica. I am trying to figure what staining, coloring method I want to use on the wood. I have read alot of posts but would like more info. Can anyone link me to some post about using lye, alcohol stains like Laurel mnt Forge, and danglers? I was considering using Aquafortis but am afriad of the uncertainty of the outcome. I also am worried about it looking muddy. Can anyoone help please? :idunno:

I used a recipe from Dixie gun works years ago. break up a plug of chewing tobacco and soak in about 10 oz. of ammonia for a couple of weeks. Strain the liquid and stain the stock with it. Let it dry real good and whisker the stock, Then I put 11 coats of tru-oil on. Its a golden honey color. not to shiney and looks great.

some guy on here suggested letting hacksaw blades sit in vinegar for a couple months, I didnt have time to try that so I bought Minwax mahogany color stain its kind if redish when applied to light color walnut, look like early Winchester color and not muddy at all used Minwax tung oil finish it came out beautiful

Thanks Zonie, and everyone,
These posts are exactly what I was looking for. When I get there I will post some pictures of the proccess and what steps I follow. It might be a bit because I have just recieved the stocks this week. But I am always thinking of the finished look and the color of the wood. I'll probobly be asking a few questions along the way. I am sure glad I came across this forum.
I have built a Hawken and a John Armstrong and kind of tought myself as I went. The guns worked great but I always wished I knew more about what I was doing. I have luckely found an experienced builder close by that is taking me under his wing. I am glad to be able to have access to everyones expertise. I'll post the progress as it comes.

Of everything I have used over the years, have had the most consistent results with Danglers stains. Real easy to blend a damaged area back to where ya cannot tell it was damaged & you can make Danglers as light or as dark as ya want buy adding more of rubbing it out with rubbing alcohol.

Keith Lisle

Back