• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stock finishing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brain

36 Cal.
Reaction score
is nitric acid a one time application finish?
or can it be applied multiple times?

I believe you are talking about Aqua Fortis, which is Nitric Acid with Iron disolved in to make a solution of Ferric Nitrate.
The simple answer is yes you can use multiple times to get the desired color you want, with heating between coats to get it to activate, and create that reddish brown color. I use Ferric Cloride crystals diluted in water to make mine (read less fumes/danger) You could just get Wakhon Bay A/F from Mike Lea, or Log Cabin sells it also. It comes with directions. You definately want to make some tests on scraps or inside the barrel channel first, as colors will vary from stock to stock, even with the same type of wood. You will get from a nice light brown to a deep reddish brown, and every shade in between, by varying your application and the wood type.
Bill

i think i got it figured out.
stock.JPG

stockB.JPG

it's just wetted with water at this point.
though in ''real'' life i have a couple coats of BLO on it now.

Have you neutralized it yet. If you don't neutralize it it wih a base like a paste of baking soda it will continue to darken. You need to kill the stain before the BLO.
Bill

Back