• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stock plank starting thickness??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make a nice dining room table :thumbsup:

riffles need more wood than that!~

so says tomtom

Have built a few "early Lancasters" w/ 2" wide buttplates and start w/ 2-1/2" wide blanks and incorporate 3/16" castoff. Not much room for error and a fairly precise bbl layout is req'd.

Lately have been using blanks from Dunlaps and his blanks are usually 2-1/2" thick and more thickness is more expensive.

The other "style" of LR that I build is the Bucks County using a 1-3/4" wide buttplate.....again the 2-1/2" wide stock blank is used because that's what I order, but a 2-1/4" thick blank width could be used. Dunlaps blanks accommodate a bbl length of 46" and that's what I'm more concerned with.

For a "first attempt" of a LR using a blank, a thickness of 2-3/4" would ensure "success" even w/ a 2" plus wide buttplate and some dim of castoff. Why skimp w/ a minimum width blank and end up w/ "scrap"?.....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
GUYS!!!! I must opologize!!!!!

I said 1-1/4". but what I meant was 2-1/4"+.
So sorry, feel like an idiot. Of course 1-1/4" is wayyyyy toooo thin.
Thanks guys for not ridiculing me for even stating that. That was just me bing in a hurry I guess.
What I have are two walnut planks that measure a hair over 2-1/4"
I have a 58 cal smoothbore Oct/Rd barrel, 44" long that measures 7/8" at the widest part at the breech.
Wanting to use a Chambers English lock, or an L&R Queen Anne at the least, do you think this is wide enough wood??
My Butt Plate will be close to 2", but not quite.
Thanks guys

Well, you're good to go then.

You would have had just enough at 2". 2 1/4" is good. :wink:

And WHERE did you get a .58 barrel that is ONLY 7/8" at the breech???

My experience tells me 2" will work for a fowler gun if you aren't planning on any cast off. 2 1/2" is better & 3" will make almost any gun you can think of. I cut all my planks to 3" x 10" x 72". & I have a lot of waste.

Thanks guys,
Got a Oct / Rd 44" 58 cal smooth from Greg Christian.
It is a nice slim barrel. Sweet.
He did a great job with it.
Thanks again all.

Back