• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stop brass from tarnishing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the best natural thing is to wax it with a good paste wax. It will need rewaxing a couple times a year to keep the protection.

A common method used by the big companies that make muzzleloaders is to spray it with a clear lacquer.

Get a can of clear engine enamel and coat your brass with an even coat. It doesn't show when dry, and will prevent tarnishing. I have a rifle I so treated more than 30 years ago and the brass is still shiny new. Not especially HC but it works.

Brass was not chosen for it's aesthetics when gun makers began using it.

Keeping brass bright and shiny is an endless task if you use the gun. A few decades of polishing brass on a few dozen guns and you'll learn to love the natural patina.

Get a cream based brass polish. Use just a tiny bit on a soft cloth (old sock is great,) apply evenly, buff with clean cloth.

Brass will tarnish, it's just the nature of it. The cleaner you leave it, the slower it will tarnish, which is oxidation. That leads to corrosion, which can happen quicker where it meets wood or other metal (ie screws.)

To me, tarnished brass is a sign of neglect. In days long past, brass hardware, lanterns, bells, etc, would have been kept polished. Collectors today call it patina, but it's the beginning of rot.

Get a cream based brass polish. Use just a tiny bit on a soft cloth (old sock is great,) apply evenly, buff with clean cloth.

There is a product called NevR Dull.. comes in a can and I get mine at the hardware store.
Tear of a small chunk of the cleaner impregnated fiber and rub the brass with that.. it'll turn a smeary black for a bit
and then the brass will ( as my bud says ) shine like a diamond in a Goat's butt!

it will also resist tarnishing after that!

This is a funny thread. I'm no builder, I admit, but I did complete a Pendersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol kit this past winter. I went through the trouble of polishing all of the brass so that it shined like a mirror... and then applied Birchwood Casey's Brass Black to make it look weathered and old. To each their own I guess.

"To me, tarnished brass is a sign of neglect. In days long past, brass hardware, lanterns, bells, etc, would have been kept polished. Collectors today call it patina, but it's the beginning of rot."

Those who like patina, I often wonder if they brush their teeth!
We're supposed to brush our teeth??!! No one ever tells me nuttin'.

Last edited:
No treatment or coating but not polished for more than 50 years.
DSCF9284.JPG

That was my point, it is never polished, it just gets a soft duster run over it from time to time (twice a year?) yet the brass is pleasingly bright. I do avoid handling any firearm with bare hands .

Brass was not chosen for it's aesthetics when gun makers began using it.

Keeping brass bright and shiny is an endless task if you use the gun. A few decades of polishing brass on a few dozen guns and you'll learn to love the natural patina.
To look right and seemingly correct many of us grey beards like patina on our brass. And until this year it’s what I did. Then I got to thinking.
The first guns were simple iron tubes with a tiller of some sort to hold it. But even some of these hand gonnes would be fitted with some fancy decoration.
The first civilian guns were very fancy hunting guns. Fine woods were often so decorated with ivory brass silver gold antler horn mother of Pearl that one could barely see the wood.
Most early military shoulder guns were iron mounted, but the eighteenth century rise of professional armies would see the rise of brass mountings.
They wanted the army to look bright from arms to uniforms.
Civilian guns for work a day, the trade guns and the guns sold to North American settlers were early on iron mounted. By the first decades of the eighteenth century we see a rise of brass mounted American arms, and most early rifles cane in brass up till the nineteenth century.
Barrels could be bright, or blued, and browning was an off and on thing for years, becoming more popular on American guns in the nineteenth century..
The oft told tail of not wanting shinny brass in the woods doesn’t ring true for me. Even in a well let pasture catching a gleam off of brass in gun sized pieces is real rare and colorful clothing was sold on the frontier
Should you have got a brand new gun with a white barrel how would you have treated it back in the day.
Why was there the switch to brass parts in the eighteenth century?
I few months ago I buffed up my brass on my smooth rifle to match its in the white barrel.
It looks newbi to me, I like old looking tarnish. However they didn’t have old guns then.
And style is style

Back