• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stopping power of the 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well sir, I'm very sorry that you are apparently very disturbed by the information I've given here. What was actually a passing remark concerning "knock down" power (because most folks that are interested in the "Handgun" section are aware that I don't shoot bp but I DO shoot converted bp revolvers) was in fact, just a passing remark. That may disturb you but it is what I enjoy so . . . I'm not into Rifles and things I once was, I'm pretty much a revolver guy.
That being the case, I'm sure some folks interested in handguns would also be interested in knowing the capabilities of the modern reproductions we seem to enjoy. Anybody can can fill the chambers of a revolver and shoot max loads safely, so why do folks ask "how much can I. . . " . The answer is simple. But the REAL question is what can my revolver ( of today) REALLY handle. You need something more powerful than bp to test the frame so, the 45acp conversion cylinder is an excellent way to find out with comparative numbers of other revolvers chambered in the same cartridge.
Turns out, the "modern" open-top platform is about as "modern" as you ever needed to get to handle modern +p ammo that many modern revolvers can't handle !! If that doesn't interest you then don't pay any attention to it . . . kind of like I don't spout off about Rifles that I don't care about.

Just because someone explains how to make your 18 second T-bucket an 8 sec 1/4 mile car doesn't mean YOU have to, it's just information!!

Mike

Oh BTW, with Kirst gated conversions, you can in fact still shoot with a percussion cylinder . . . you can't do that with the originals . . .

"That being the case, I'm sure some folks interested in handguns would also be interested in knowing the capabilities of the modern reproductions we seem to enjoy."

Seriously, youre on the wrong forum, again this forum is titled "The Muzzleloading Forum"
so what part of those very clear and simple 3 words dont you comprehend ?

. . . because maybe THAT may be all they have or can have. It still beats a stick . .
Mike
Having BTDT of living out of my car many years back, Iā€™ll go with the 1860 being all one had left after a particularly nasty divorce and getting laid off at the same time. Life can stink at times. The bottom line is that shot placement and penetration is paramount regardless of cartridge/caliber/handgonne used. You have what you have, there isnā€™t time to go spin the dial on a safe.

BTDT in a self defense shooting in my house. You have 3 seconds to wake up and get that first round down range. YOU WILL drop back to whatever level of training youā€™ve had at that instant. The male bovine feces bravado about ā€˜racking the slideā€™ is gonna get you killed. All I could think about was that LTC screaming at me. ā€œFRONT SIGHT LIEUTENANT!!! FRONT SIGHT!! FOCUS ON THAT G****** FRONT SIGHTā€ Time dilation is spooky SciFi real. When I pulled the trigger, I watched the slide come back, and that .45 case slowly spin around as it was being ejected with glowing powder still in it, individual grains of powder circling floating in the air, and a gray blur of the bullet going at that guy with the 2ā€™ sharpened screwdriver headed at me. That was 8 Aug 1998, a Full Moon, and still wake up at 0313 to this day with a pounding pulse & hyperventilating when a bad dream returns.

Shot placement & penetration is what gets you through the night. The rest is just talk.

Its an oft argued subject but knock down power does not exist.
Amen, Bro.

I once read an FBI test report where they shot live sheep with a variety of weapons, calibers, bullet styles, etc. The conclusion was there was no definitive conclusion as to what was best. Seemingly identical shots often resulted in vastly different results. As to the discussion involving previous era pistols, keep in mind medical care was far lacking compared to today. A wound then that did not 'stop' the individual usually resulted in a long drawn out and agonizing slow death from bleed out or infection. In today's world we want instant results. That doesn't always happen regardless of where the person was shot or how big the gun used was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back