• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storing black powder in a shed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It don't explode in the original containers.. keep it away from your work bench though if that's what you're doing.

If your worried about a basement fire.

A 50grn pyrodex pellet puts a camp fire right out.

If your house was on fire. And the fire hit the BP. It's probably going to put the fire out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517_150739_Google~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_150739_Google~2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240517_150608_Google~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_150608_Google~2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 0
I hve n old refrigerator from a camper that i keep my powder in. before the camper fell apart and i scrounged the refer, I stored it out in the canning shed. for 30 years. the only thing that can effect the powder is humidity. all that does is make the burn rate slower. dried out completely it is s powerful as the day it was made. maybe stronger, because there is residual moisture when i bottle the stuff.

I have an old apartment size refrigerator in the shop to store powder. It holds a couple cases easily. I also have a warning sign on the outside of the shop, "Danger Explosives Keep Out". I also told the local fire chief if that shed ever catches fire, stay way the hell back and watch the show.
A friend's shop caught fire back around ten years ago, the whole roof ended up about 40 yards from where it started. That was a combination of black and smokeless powder, acetylene, oxygen, propane tanks. All the fun stuff you find in a working blacksmith shop.

Warning signs where I live just attract criminals and morons.
Posted signs.

We had problems in NH.

We would hide the cars and waited for them. Like no one was there.

There was only one way out.. back down The hill. Good cop lived at the bottom of the hill 😆

We would put a nice posted sign on a post at the end at the rotary right in front. They pulled that sign out on there way. 🙄

A friend stores my bp outside in a wooden cabinet behind his workshop. I put the powder containers in a rubber/vinyl kayak drybag with the top rolled down and buckled and the bag goes in a plastic toolbox. Three years now and the powder flows freely and is full strength even though the cabinet is exposed to whatever the weather dishes out.

It was nice. We new everyone on the hill.

locals at the store were complaining one day.. guinea hill I guess they called it.

I was like yup. Don't go over there.

5 gallon buckets with the snap on lid. Is good too

I been using a home depot husky plastic tool box.. easy to lock.

Plastic tool box for the cleaning stuff too.

Anyplace as long as it's away from a open heat source.
When I lived in New Yorkistan.
I kept mine in the garage in a box along with shot and round ball.
People always worry about their powder. But yet they have no problem storing propane tanks in their basement & garage. Along with gasoline tanks, three or four pieces of gasoline powered equipment.
I don't know why you found it funny when I said check state and local laws.

Since you used to live in NY, that's the perfect example: 5lb limit, stored in original containers, in a wood box with 1" thick walls. Said box is painted red, marked Low Ex in white or yellow letters, and to be kept within 10 feet of an exterior entry to the basement or ground floor.

As they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Storing propane and gasoline in the basement is equally dumb, and probably against codes. And since codes historically were started by insurance companies, you can bet even if there's no criminal consequences, your insurance will deny any claim.

Last edited:
I don't know why you found it funny when I said check state and local laws.

Since you used to live in NY, that's the perfect example: 5lb limit, stored in original containers, in a wood box with 1" thick walls. Said box is painted red, marked Low Ex in white or yellow letters, and to be kept within 10 feet of an exterior entry to the basement or ground floor.

As they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Storing propane and gasoline in the basement is equally dumb, and probably against codes. And since codes historically were started by insurance companies, you can bet even if there's no criminal consequences, your insurance will deny any claim.

Then locked in a container that says no blackpowder in here.

Nice tool box.. tools in there. That's what in there. O yes that lock is locked it's locked 🔒

I liked the old broken fridge idea too. Get one with the lock or install a lock.

the only thing you have to save you is the lock. Even with the key next to it. They can't open it and they don't.

File cabinet. Lock that in there.

Files in there. Important. Private.. Locked. it's locked you know.

Latest posts

Back