• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storing your powder and pouring it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formernuke

32 Cal
Reaction score
Right now I have BH209 for my unmentionabel and 2f for my traditional rifles, if I can find it I'll be adding 4f for the flintlock.

My plan is to pour from the original container into brass spring pouring flask and then from the brass flask into the measures and then into "speed loaders" for the range.

First question can the powders be stored in the brass flask?

Second question what can I use when pouring the powder to catch any over flow to contain the mess?

You can keep powder in a brass flask long term. Keep it dry and away from heat and it should be fine. Use a funnel to fill the flask or container.

Your brass flask should have a threaded spout to help pour into your measure. Mouth of the spout will most likely be smaller than the opening of the measure.

If you're using speed loaders, why not prep them at home -can fill right from the bottle with a funnel into your measure in controlled conditions.

I store powder in the original bottle -so I and others know what it is. As a horn or flask needs filling for a match, hunt or day at the range I fill with more than I think I will need. Anything left over (usually not a lot) stays in the flask or horn and goes into my box.

You can keep powder in a brass flask long term. Keep it dry and away from heat and it should be fine. Use a funnel to fill the flask or container.

Your brass flask should have a threaded spout to help pour into your measure. Mouth of the spout will most likely be smaller than the opening of the measure.

If you're using speed loaders, why not prep them at home -can fill right from the bottle with a funnel into your measure in controlled conditions.

I store powder in the original bottle -so I and others know what it is. As a horn or flask needs filling for a match, hunt or day at the range I fill with more than I think I will need. Anything left over (usually not a lot) stays in the flask or horn and goes into my box.

I plan on prepping the speed loaders at home, each brass flask and measure will be labeled with the powder it is for. Yes I'm a little OCD, lol.

What about a surface to pour over at home when filling the speed loaders?

I bought a plastic storage container to pour over. I pour the measure overfull and then level the top with the spout on my powder container. When I'm finished with maybe 10 I'll have several grains in the container, maybe 50 or 100. I just use a small funnel and pour it back in my powder container.

I bought a plastic storage container to pour over. I pour the measure overfull and then level the top with the spout on my powder container. When I'm finished with maybe 10 I'll have several grains in the container, maybe 50 or 100. I just use a small funnel and pour it back in my powder container.
A paper plate would work well and is cheap

I don't seem to spill all that much when I pour into a measure and I don't do pre measured charges at home or anywhere else, BUT, if I did I'd step outside and do it there without concern over a bit of spilled powder. 🤔

I usually pour powder from the brass flask back to the plastic container because the flask is not airtight and in Florida humidity can be a problem. I use a small plastic funnel whenever I'm transferring powder to anything with a small opening including the muzzles on my Hawkens.

Back