• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck ball but with a twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexFolino

32 Cal.
Reaction score
No i honestly did not do this, this was a veteran shooter in fact who is stumped. After a successful hunt yesterday, my friend decided not to shoot the ball out and take it back to camp. Well he used my extractor(screw end) to take the ball out and it drilled right thru the ball. Not the ball is oversized where the screw would go thru. We tried running my compressor through the vent to push it thru and the ball is just flat out stuck and has no movement. We have lubrication down the barrel and im afraid that we can not shoot it out because im assuming the powder charge is flooded out with oils now. What would you do in this situation? Im new to this and hes been doing this for years but never had this happen to this extent!

thanks!
alex :thumbsup:

if u can use a bigger screw, u might be able to pop it out with just a small amount powder, in a garage it wouldnt make that much noise, also make a good backstop for the ball.

Why do i feel im going to need to have a few Heinekin's after this day.. hah. The gun is with me and not him so i promised id get it out. Also i thought maybe getting a long drill bit and just chip away at the ball until enough of it is weak and falls apart. I thought they made maybe bigger screws for stuff like this but i cant find them.

i made a ball puller for the musket using a large wood screw atached to a steel rod. u may have to make an adapter to mate the screw to the rod. also u may need to have a bushing to center the ball on the tip of the screw. do u have any tools to use like
a welder posibly
tap/die
drill press

now these are not necessarily needed, but they help the process along.

Are you saying that since there is now a hole in the ball, the compressor won't pop it out? or the ball is just SO tight that the compressor doesn't have enough power?

Forget chipping it away with a drill bit. that's a good way to muck up the barrel.
Why not tightly wrap the screw on the puller with some cloth or patch material and tape it so it acts like a "shim" or filler. If the barrel is clean,that should be enough to gently pull it out without much effort.

Im going to try that next. Thats a good idea. I kind of feel bad for this guy because hes having family troubles and stuff and i know he cant afford to take it to a smith so ill let you guys know what happens!

If I understand right, the ball puller striped out and went all the way through the ball?
If so just make a larger diameter threaded puller.

If not:
Jac S. Muell’s zerk fitting and grease method would be the safest way to do it

Tinker2

Tinker2 said:
+1
If not:

Tinker2

Since the hole has gone thru the ball, the grease may do the same. :hmm:

Hope you're using a good range/cleaning rod or a ramrod with pinned ends or you may have more things stuck in the barrel if the ends come off.

bucktales said:
Tinker2 said:
+1
If not:

Tinker2

Since the hole has gone thru the ball, the grease may do the same. :hmm:

Hope you're using a good range/cleaning rod or a ramrod with pinned ends or you may have more things stuck in the barrel if the ends come off.

That’s what I meant when I said “if not”, as in no hole through the ball. my missnake.

Tinker2

Have you put any Hoppe's No. 9 lead solvent down the barrel to go to work on the lead packed into the grooves? That often releases the lead enough to let you pull it out with a bigger wood screw. If you have a thread die for 10-32, or 8-32, you can cut the head off a larger wood screw( cheap buy) and thread the shank of the screw to fit your existing Ramrod. You may have to file or grind down the shank before threading it, but its do-able.

The Hardware store where you buy the screw should also have the die. Take your RR or at least the tip of it( or your existing jag) with you to make sure you have the right sized die. Buy some tap oil( made specifically to lubricate taps and dies for this kind of work) at the store as well.

If you have never threaded a shank or rod before, there are two sides to the die. One has a taper to it, so you can get the die started. The other end is square. In use, you begin with the tapered side, turning the tap a 1/4 turn, then backing it up 1/8 turn to break the chips out, then another 1/4 turn, then back 1/8 turn, etc. until you reach the bottom, or your mark. Then flip the die over ( you need a die handle to hold it) and use the square end to redress the threads and thread all the way down. Until you get resistance, just sping the handle and die down the new screw. As soon as you get resistance, STOP. Now go back to the 1/4 turn, 1/8 turn back, etc. until you get to the bottom.

Now, try the new screw in your ramrod, after wiping off any chips and oiling the threads both in your rod tip, and on the wood screw/ball puller. To center the rod in your barrel, find something like a wad that fits your barrel diameter, and drill a hole in the center large enough for the shaft of your Ramrod. now, take off the tip if necessary, and slide that wad over your rod. put the tip back on and screw in the new ball puller.

When you turn the new ball puller into the lead ball that is stock, DON'T Try to Horse it out with a big jerk. have someone hold the stock, while you pull on the rod, If it won't come free with steady pressure, pour more lead solvent down and do something else for an hour or eight! Then try it again. The lead solvent should be absorbed by the cloth patch around the ball, and then eat away at the lead next to the fabric. Give the chemistry time to work.

Leave the puller and rod in the gun. If nothing else, it has now plugged that big hole, and it will be possible to blow both the ball and the ball puller out with a CO2 gun, or air compressor, or with the grease gun, or by shooting them out with a small charge of powder. ( I am talking 5 grains of FFFFg or less.) :thumbsup:

You will have to put the screw back in hole to shut off hole as grease will go tru hole. Wash out the back end of barrel with hot water and blow dry, then you might be able to shoot it out. You could pack some wadding ahead of ball to shut off the hole to fire it out. What about your gun with the twisted off button hook? Dilly

You mention a "Vent".
I take it that it's a flintlock?
Does it have a vent liner?
If it does, can you dig out some or most of the powder. Then you could push the ball down a bit further. This might free it up enough to get it pulled, or pushed with air or grease.

I tried blowing it out when plugged. I also tried the homemade screw. If there is lubricant in the barrel, can i still shoot it? If so im going to add 5grains of FFFFG im going to make an attempt at shooting it out. What would happen if i didnt plug the hole but shot the ball the way it was? Is plugging the ball a must?

I keep three sizes of ball puller in my shooting pouch, if I am lucky the first and smallest one will pull the ball, but usually it pulls out like you just did. Then the next largest screw goes into the handy hole and usually gets the ball out. If that one pulls through and it will on occasion, I use the big wood screw extractor, that one never fails.

When ever you are at a gun show pick up various sized screw extractors and then carry them with you.

You are not in deep do-do, you just need a few more sizes of screws. As long as you don't pour water down the bore you will be OK. Of course you could still shoot it out.

Many Klatch

Back