• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stuck brass brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickjf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well as I write i am waiting for epoxy to cure between a cleaning ram/ range rod and a brass brush that is in the breech of my flintlock. I eagerly pushed the brush thinking it was properly attached to the rod. So as I pulled the rod out during cleaning process the brush was left in the barrel. I welcome any other ideas. :surrender: :doh: :idunno:

A thin walled piece of tubing fastened to a rod will "encircle" the brush and pull it out! :idunno:

I did that once and was able to remove one from a smoothbore with a corkscrew looking attachement that I found in someone elses box at the range. It was the screw in the rod type

Mu plan did not work as the threaded attachment on the brush came off. I like the idea of the tube If I can find one. Copper or steel conduit may work if I can find one that will fit in the barrel it is a .45.

Same thing happened to me. I took the muzzie to a gunsmith after trying all kinds of cures. Said gunsmith removed the breech plug and pushed the brush out.

A lot of people dont use a brush to clean m/l because as you try to pull the brush out and the brissles try to lean in the opposit direction the brush becomes stuck,I use a jag myself for this very reason .

a brush will grab the rifling
let the ram rod turn as you insert it and remove it from the bore
if you need twist it tight
make a jag with some brass or simular tubing and afix it to a jag and insert it makeing sure the tube is long enouf to cover the brush force it over the brush and pull out
wosrt case pull the breech plug
best of luck in getting it out
I use mops and bore burshes all the time cleaning my guns

Look for a 7/16 diameter tube that is as long as the barrel for your .45 caliber gun.

Drive it down the barrel until it hits the breech plug and pull out the offending brush.

The 7/16" tubing will also work for the .50 caliber barrels and it may work even better than the 1/2" tubing.

Some of the barrels bores are slightly undersize and some 1/2" tubing is slightly oversize and the last thing that's wanted is getting a 1/2" tube stuck in a .50 caliber barrel just because it was a few thousandths of an inch oversize and was driven in with a mallet. :(

"and the last thing that's wanted is getting a 1/2" tube stuck in a .50 caliber barrel just because it was a few thousandths of an inch oversize and was driven in with a mallet. :([/quote]

22 cal smooth bore BP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :stir:

sorry~ :haha:

I used the corkscrew type tool. Made it out of coat hanger wire. Form the screw part by coiling the coat hanger around something in the order of 1/4 inch diameter so it is big enough to go over the core wire of the brush. File a point on the end. Screw it in as far as it will go. Wrap the other end of the coat hanger around something solid and give a mighty heave on the barrel.

This is much easier than rounding up a length of tubing of the proper dimensions

Another solution I read about on this forum was to dump powder into the barrel and shoot it. Apparently this causes deterioration of the bristles and eventually blows the brush out of the barrel. This may be too easy to be true.

Anybody got any personal experience with this process? Excuse me , but I've got my doubts.

I'd pull the breech myself and be done with it. I never saw the need to use a brush.Give the gun a good 'puke' and it will be fine.And you will have no use for a fowling scraper either.

To all of those who made good suggestions I got the brush out with a home made double hook. I hope to get a photo of it I found an old brass brush that fits into the ram rod. I pushed it around the stuck brush and twisted until it got a good hold and was able to pull the brush out.
download-4.jpg

few years bare i bought one of those fowling scrapers used it once and have never used it since
as when i shine a flash light inthe bore and see ashiny breech when i didnt use it
i do use a bore brush but i let the rod it is attached to turn as i move it in and out
and my wife bought my one of the rotating rods for TOTW and n ow its now worries
brush just speeds up the process in how i clean my guns

Thanks for the suggestions. I was unwilling to have my rifle dis-assembled. I could not find a tube of the right diameter. I tried putting powder in the breach but it did not work. The double hook worked well. with a little fencing wire.

im glad to hear you got it out! those brushes are nothing but trouble, i suggest you avoid them from now on.

-matt

Use a non-rotating handle, twist the brush clockwise (so you don't unscrew the threads) as you switch directions, and you won't have any trouble. Twisting the brush effectively shortens the bristles.

Have been using PROPER SIZED bronze wire brushes for many years w/o even one stuck brush. Perhaps the brush was oversize for the bore? In fact, when squirrel hunting and the loading gets a little hard, I run the wire brush down the bore, dump the debris and load. Don't use patches until cleaning at home......Fred

Back