• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stuck brass brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brush was a generic .45. Most likely over sized. I will look for a proper,brush next try. I still believe a brush is a good tol to loosen power fouling.

If you really need to scrape the inside of the barrel clean go to the hardware store and get some brass wool. You can find it in the paint area. Tear off some brass wool, put in on the end of the ramrod and it will do basically the same job as the brass brush, but it won't get stuck. A piece of old worn out green scrubby pad will do as well.

Many Klatch

The problem with a brush is brushes are oversized to scrub the inside of a barrel. In a centerfire rifle the brush passes completely through and then when pulled back the bristles are pointed to the rear. In a muzzleloader the brush is pushed in then pulled out resulting in the bristles being pushed in two directions at the same time increasing the force needed to pull the brush out. Resulting in the brush getting stuck. I hope I have not sounded too confusing................watch yer top knot.............

newhunter said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I was unwilling to have my rifle dis-assembled. I could not find a tube of the right diameter. I tried putting powder in the breach but it did not work. The double hook worked well. with a little fencing wire.

I have never stuck a bore brush, or seen one stuck, in the larger bore sizes, 40 and over. 22 caliber bronze brushes can stick but this is BL bore size and easy to fix in a BL.
There is enough flex in the longer bristles that they can reverse direction mid-bore with no problems I have done it a LOT in 40-45 cal BPCR and use a brush in MLs as well with not problems.

So far as retrieving a lost one. Wrap masking tape on the rod till it will pretty well center in the bore then it should be possible to screw the rod back on the threads and remove the brush it they still exist.

Dan

I have been using a brush between shots with my smooth bore.keeps it one shot dirty. shot loads are very "dirty".
this was hashed over some time back. plug the nipple/touchhole pour "coke" in let sit for 3-4 hours. pour out what is left. the coke eats up brass/copper brisles test it out in a cup.

What about the brushes that are "made" for muzzleloaders? They are suppose to be able turn around inside the barrel. This is my first post since I am new to muzzeloaders. :grin:

I've always used the 'tornado' or coiled bronze brushes. Since they are already twisted around, they seem less likely to snag.
I use one meant for a 28g shotgun in my .54 with no problems.

I don't and won't use brushes, not even nylon brushes in my MLs; don't need the possible trouble. I also will not stick any accessory in my ML barrels that has a brass shank - my range rod has a non-rotating handle and threaded brass shanks strip threads and/or unscrew easily - I use only steel shanked accessories and I snug them up tightly into the SS rod and check the fit every half-dozen strokes. I also will not use the steel "tornado" brushes on any of my firearms, ML or CF. The steel wire is harder than the gun's bore and will scour it. baxter

Recently found some of the good brushes for the fast twist .45 rifle, the kind that cannot pull out.
Is there a happy happy joy joy song smilie?

Good thing you got it out, 'cause I was gonna suggest trickling in some powder through the vent hole, priming the pan, and....!!!!

Back