• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suggestions for first build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'd like to try building my first rifle kit. I have been some GPR kits in the past but now I am ready for my first real build.

I'd like some suggestions on a good kit for my first build.

I'll take good to mean minimal inletting, shaping, etc but more than a GPR kit.

Thanks

I recommend Pecatonica and of course Jim Chambers if one of his styles is what suits ya. J.C is top of the line all the way. Pecatonica has more options in styles and hardware but if you choose one of their Kits as suggested it too will be A#1. Both are at the high end of "you get what you pay for".

Widow,

I would go for an Isaac Haines rifle from Dunlap Woodcrafts. With a 38" C weight barrel in 50 caliber it is a handy rifle. (I am assuming you want to use it for the PA flintlock season.) Dunlap provides good figured maple wood for the money.

I have built several and everyone that has picked up one of them marvels at their balance. Thjey are a delight to carry and shoot.

Dave

I'm working on a Dickert kit from Track of the Wolf that is my first build. I mentioned in another post somewhere recently why I chose it over Jim Chambers kit. It leaves a little more inletting up to the builder and since this is more of a learning experience than anything, I wanted the extra work.

Now I say this never having built from a blank (not precarved) stock before, but it almost seems to me that inletting the barrel (mine is swamped) would be easier starting from scratch on a blank than trying to enlarge a channel that has been pre-cut on the small side. Once the stock is carved down to near-final dimensions, the barrel channel loses much of its stiffness and it is difficult to work with.

I wanted to at least complete a pre-carved kit before starting from a blank so that I'd have a rifle that is correctly shaped and proportioned to use as an example in the future. Would be real tough to do your first build from a blank totally from pictures without a real rifle available for study.

Anyway, just my $0.02

I wouldn't start with a Hawkens rifle; they are more difficult to build than a Pennsylvania longrifle. I found the one English style buttplate difficult to inlet, so I would stay away with anything with one of those. Otherwise, I say build whatever tickles your fancy. Build whatever style you like the best. Ask yourself, what would be your dream rifle?

You're correct that fitting a bbl to an undersized channel in a precarve is a tedious job. Outside of achieving a proper architecture, building from a blank and having the bbl and RR work done by either the likes of Fred Miller or David Rase, is in a way easier because of not contending w/ the supplier's mistakes or mixups. Having built 3 Chambers' early Lancaster "kits" and having shipped back 3 "kits" from other suppliers because of foul ups or shoddy work, I'd go w/ Chambers if he has what is wanted........Fred

I have said it before and have no trouble saying it again. Chambers offer first class products and first class service. Barbie and Jim are always willing to help with a question and nice to deal with.

Locks are second to none, designs well researched to be as HC as possible, castings are solid, wood is excellent.

I have always been more than pleased. I believe you will be the same.

Maybe you need to think a bit more on what you are wanting to have or do with the rifle when it is done. That may help define/narrow your options and facilitate your final decision.

(Please understand this is in no way to be a put down of any of the other fine vendors available. Just a note of what I have liked.)

Back