• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sunday dinner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another duck story. While grouse hunting came across a flooded alder area caused by a beaver dam. My Dad and I decided to go in and sit awhile because we heard some mallards quacking.

After an hour or so, went by my Dad and told him that I'll take a shot and see if we can put the ducks airborne. After the shot, all the mallards flew in the opposite direction...all except one which I shot.

Couldn't find the duck and after taking my boots off and wading in very cold water, my Dad found the duck on dry land. When it hit the ground, corn came out of it's crop. Corn fed mallard was very appealing and it became our supper. Out of the oven, let it sit awhile, sliced it up and took one bite and it was awful.....completely inedible.

Took the rest of the duck outside and presented it to our English Setter....he promptly came over and smelled it and much to our surprise, lifted his leg and showed the cooked mallard his utter disdain. True story and never tried to eat wild duck or geese again.....Fred

flehto said:
Another duck story. While grouse hunting came across a flooded alder area caused by a beaver dam. My Dad and I decided to go in and sit awhile because we heard some mallards quacking.

After an hour or so, went by my Dad and told him that I'll take a shot and see if we can put the ducks airborne. After the shot, all the mallards flew in the opposite direction...all except one which I shot.

Couldn't find the duck and after taking my boots off and wading in very cold water, my Dad found the duck on dry land. When it hit the ground, corn came out of it's crop. Corn fed mallard was very appealing and it became our supper. Out of the oven, let it sit awhile, sliced it up and took one bite and it was awful.....completely inedible.

Took the rest of the duck outside and presented it to our English Setter....he promptly came over and smelled it and much to our surprise, lifted his leg and showed the cooked mallard his utter disdain. True story and never tried to eat wild duck or geese again.....Fred

:haha: :hatsoff:

Burger/meatloaf meat :thumbsup:

B.

Depends on how you define what is a wild Pheasant. In truth very few of our Pheasants are hatched and reared by a hen living wild outside of captivity. Almost all are bred and reared on game farms and released sometime prior to the opening of the season. I'd willingly swap some of our reared Pheasants for some your wild Turkey's.

Dick Lane said:
Depends on how you define what is a wild Pheasant. In truth very few of our Pheasants are hatched and reared by a hen living wild outside of captivity. Almost all are bred and reared on game farms and released sometime prior to the opening of the season. I'd willingly swap some of our reared Pheasants for some your wild Turkey's.
Me too, I would love some turkey walking around.
I checked an area last evening that had a pocket full of birds that I was hoping over summer would hatch and rear some youngsters. Not a bird to be found! Despite my fox control efforts (they keep dropping them there) since early spring! I hope I just missed them, but I never heard a bird go to roost :(

B.

Back