• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Surely miss the squirrel hunting days.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,

I picked up a new .32 caliber for squirrel hunting this year and I'm having a great time. I went out this weekend and got my first fox squirrel with the new gun. 1 for 6 isn't too bad for a newbie :thumbsup: Went out on Monday with the .22 because it looked like rain, missed one at 15 yrds! That's what I get for leaving the muzzleloader at home :haha:. Nothing like sneaking throught the woods with the muzzleloader and possibles bag. Hope you get a chance to get back into it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yes bramble, I harvested bunches of grays with my .50 T/C hawken in Virginia before I migrated to MT. In my rifle a PRB and 40g ffg real black will produce a single ragged hole on paper at 35 yd. If your sight is fading like mine you need not hold out for a head shot. Mid section shots distroy no meat. There is no better hunting or eating than grays. Good luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Still luv hunting them skwerls.Dependent upon the weather-I use either a.22 singleshot Favorite (opensights)Rifle or a Uberti.36 Navy revolver! :grin:

Joe,

Sleep easy my friend, The torch has been passed to my boys.

The oldest son gets my .45 Seneca this year, He just don't know it yet.

Picture020.jpg
[/img]

Headhunter

A great picture of a pair of happy and proud hunters. I'll never forget how proud I was coming home with a pair of bushy tails on my first solo hunt.

Joe

Come on Yanta. We'll eat that big bass for breakfast and the squirrel for lunch.

I may just have to get out another time before the season slips away.... Thanks for the post.

wess

Wess were gonna need a lot of folks over for breakfast to eat that big 'ol reservoir bass.

Joe

Sidelock,
Thanks for the info.

BTW, If I aim for the head it doesn't mean i'm gonna hit it there :rotf:
I take what I can :haha:

bramble

My first post here.
Here is a squirrel recipe called super duper super soup.
Place two to six squirrel in a slow cooker.
when they are cooked. debone the squirrel. Add the squirrel meat and water from the slow cooker into a pot of lipton chicken noodle soup. Then add vegetables, corn, extra noodles, potatoe chopped small, onion etc. What ever you happen to have. Frozen vegetables from freezer. Whatever!
Season with salt and pepper. (lots of pepper)
No two pots of soup are the same but every one is incredible.

Pat Cameron

Pat,
Welcome to the forum! :hatsoff:

We used to call that "Hunters Stew". You hunt around in the fridge and cupboards and throw whatever you find into the pot with a few squirrels... :)

Have enjoyed many years of squirrel hunting and the culmination of this hunt is a deer hunting feast of roast squirrel for 10 people. Although it's deer hunting, all the memories of the hunt for these "squirrely rascals" is possibly more pleasant than deer hunting because of the warmer weather, brilliant color of the woods and the smell of autumn leaves. I hunt w/ a .45 cal. flintlock LR which was my first scratch built {1981} and I just over look all the mistakes that I made in it's construction because it surely does the job of "head hunting". I agree that it's difficult to find good squirrel woods because of posting and because of this, I hunt county and privately managed forest lands. This past deer season I found some privately managed forest land that evidently hasn't been hunted in many years judging from the huge amount of squirrels I saw and guess where I'll be come Sept.?.....Fred

This has been a "most interesting" topic for me in a long time. I am recovering from cancer surgery and am planning my first hunt of the year for the weekend of Jan 20th. This has been the first hunting season missed since I started in 1974. It has been hard to watch my 2 sons, 11 and 16, leave with my dad to head to the woods. My hunt is to include my longtime friend and his video camera and he's taking me to his fox squirrel castle. My 11 yr old will be with us. He will be using a LH CVA .32 cal and myself, my TC Renegade with GM .32 cal. Both firing .310 PRB over 20 gr. FFF Goex. I was able to get my rifle out last week and fired 8 shots to fine tune the sights a little. It has a tang sight and was last used with the .40 cal. The .40 cal was my first choice but the PRB fits too tight for my weak body. Couldn't shove the ball down the bore. My buddy belongs to a group that has 4 hunting dvd's on the video market and my hunt would be the first for traditional muzzleloading and/or squirrel hunting. Lets hope things work out. I'm going to let my son get the first 3 shots :thumbsup:. I'll let you all know how things go, along with pictures. Take care and God Bless. sduve

Joe -
Yes, I really enjoy squirrel hunting. Like so many others that have responded to your post, squirrel hunting comes with many childhood memories for me. Growing up, my brother and I hunted squirrel with dad's old Mossberg Model 42M .22cal military surplus training rifle. This rifle came mail order from Kliens Sporting Goods. If I remember correctly, the price was $7.50 + shipping. We fired many rounds through that old rifle and it was quite accurate!
I recently acquired a .38 cal. Southern Mountain rifle that I am anxious to try on squirrels. It has an Ed Rayl barrel and is very accurate on paper.
Thanks for this enjoyable post!!
8905c

A few days ago I took my 20 ga fowler out to the woods. It was one of the most enjoyable days I have had in a long time. I love bird hunting but there is something special about stalking through the woods with my flintlock fowler. I saw one rabbit, seven deer, five pheasants, six squirrels, and I managed to shoot two squirrels. If I was a better hunter I might have been able to bring home another squirrel and maybe the rabbit, but I don't care because I had a wonderful time. Now that my eyes are getting older it's easier for me to hit them using the fowler with bird shot instead of a rifle. Of course I always aim for the head. I was using some very old soft #4 lead shot that was given to me and I noticed it did not penetrate their tuff skin as well as the #5 chilled shot I normally use.

Back