• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

swabing improperly between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gun fine except if i wipe the bore after firing it. It pushes fouling into the fire channel. Every five shots i will load powder and a PRB. Then i swab the barrel. The gun stays clean and no firing channel problems.
Mike

It pushes fouling into the fire channel.

That shouldn't happen. Without being there to try myself, I'll venture the fault is with your ramrod and jag. The popular brass jags have a rebate behind the head that allows the patch to slide down without much disturbance of the fouling. Then, when withdrawl starts the patch bunches up behind the jag and is forced against the bore dragging the fouling with it. Try someone elses ramrod to see what happens. The fix may be an easy one.

So you are thinking i need a different jag. When i clean my 50cal i use a 45cal jag with two patches it cleans the groves better. Do you think i should try that setup for swabbing?
Mike

If you are pushing fouling into the flash channel, you are cleaning the gun wrong. Try it this way:

On the first run of a cleaning patch( Moistened, but not wet) down the barrel, STOP when the rod is 1 inch above the breech. Pull the crud out. Now, use a second patch, and run it down all the way to the breech. Only the small amount of crud/fouling in that final inch will transfer to the patch, and it will easily soak up that small amount.

Read the patches as they come out. If they are black and Greasy looking you have lots of condensation in the barrel along with the fouling. Use a Third Patch- dry- to dry the barrel all the way to the breech, or powder chamber, and read that patch when it comes out, too. Feel it. If there is lots of moisture on the patch, either flip it over and run it back down, or get a 4th (dry) patch and run it down to make sure its truly dry.

As long as you haven't pushed a dripping wet cleaning patch down the barrel, there should not be enough water in the flash channel to cause a misfire.

Most of the problems with misfires relate to technique, and not to any mechanical problem with the guns. Its just that most new shooters haven't a clue how to go about cleaning these guns right, and don't even know to ask. We have all been there, and done that before. So, just ask, and join the club. :thumbsup:

I went to the range today and i swabbed the barrel between shots as paulvallandigham had suggested it worked great. After each shot i swabbed barrel with a damp cleaning patch with Hopes #9 BP solvent followed by both sides of a dry patch. I used the same solvent for patch lube. The rifle stayed clean, shot well and was easy to load.
Mike

Thank you sir...I'll definitely give that a try. I marked my range rod today to keep me an inch from the breach area on the first pass.

Hi , when shooting targets I use a spit patch and after firing I always load then run a patch down the bore onto the ball and back out again , never had a blocked nipple or flash hole from powder residue or water/oil doing this , and the barrel is always in a once fired condition according to my reconing .. been wrong before but .. kiwi2

Latest posts

Back