• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sweet deal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave n

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday I labeled and wrote a topic . That got edited :idunno: . I'm guessing it was the topic label . I wanna apologize if it offended someone or I crossed the line . It was meant in fun :v . Anyways that being said and put behind me , I ran into a real sweet deal . A fella at work was talking about a hawken he had and couldn't get rid of . Shot it about 5 times , cleaned it and put it in his closet . That was yrs ago . He doesn't remember the make . So I asked him to bring it in for me to take a look at :grin: .
54 cal TC Hawkin . This gun was like brand new I mean as near to excellent as one can get . Asked him how much . I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough , he said $100 , one Ben Franklin . I'm a happy man right now :grin: !

Nice find.
Could you put to rest a bit of confusion that's floating around out there?

You say it IS a Hawken and not a Renegade, and that it's a 54.,

Is the barrel 1" across the flats or 15/16" ?

It's a 54 tc hawken . I've already have a 50 renegade . This is a nice addition . :grin: . Definitely a "1 barrel .

That's cool. 1" barreled TC Hawken is great for adaptability with being able to swap out barrels and locks.

You're supposed to take your wallet out slowly, after you pretend to think about it for a minute, and add in, "Well, since you're a friend... I guess". If you look too eager, sometimes the seller can tell he's making a business boo boo, and change his mind at the last second.

Hey, just be glad he doesn't hang around this forum. Ya did good. Bill

Congrats! I used to be able to say, "that never happens to me" until I bought the TC Renegade .58 flintlock for $100.00 and it appears unfired.

Greg

I can say the same thing I have run into 2 deals. One was a Hawkens Renegade .50cal for $50 and a CVA .45cal Kentucky Pistol for $40 with extras.

Ten ring . I told the guy I got the gun from that if he knows of any other bp guns to let me know , especially if it was a tc 58 . He said - what are u gonna do with a gun like that ? Uh , shoot it ? What else .
That's sweet . Wish I could get my hands on a tc 58 for a hundred bucks .

Went to a couple of gun shows yesterday and the few TC Hawkens were going from $225 to $350. The $350 was an unfired production 50 cal. The two for $225 were both in pretty good condition with one being a kit gun and the other being a production gun in almost new condition. If I didn't already have a nice TC Hawken, one of them would have followed me home. You got a smokin deal. I'm still looking for a good deal on a 45 cal barrel for mine. Those sweet deals are few and far between.

That's a great price for a Hawkens.

I picked up an Urberti Hawkens 50 cal last week which was in very good condition.

Thought I had a great deal at $200 since it included a hard carry case, powder horn, couple of cans of 3F powder, primers and lots & lots of patches. :thumbsup:

Just a update on the hawken . Took it out to shoot the other day . Odd things were happening on loading and shooting . First I started out with a 535 rb , .010 patch on top of 90 grs fff . Couldn't fit a .015 patch down the tube . The .010 was real tight going down until about halfway and then slid down the rest with no effort . Retrieving the spent patches showed them to be torn and blown apart . Six in groups at 50 yds :hmm: so I got to thinking (sometimes this is where I get into trouble) maybe the rifling had sharp edges seen its only been shot a couple of shots . So I clean it up and wrapped a 50 cal jag with some 0000 steel wool and ran it up and down about 30 times . Now I can run a .015 patch snug all the way down . Retrieved patches were in perfect shape and I can clover leaf at 50 yds all day long . This gun is hunting with me the rest of the season and hopefully draw some blood . :thumbsup:

I picked up an Uberti Hawken .54, apparently in unfired condition, for $100 last Friday. It is missing the tumbler screw, which is already in transit from VTI. My tastes generally run to English sporters, but I couldn't turn this deal down. It had a bit of dry iron rust in the barrel, but cleaned up nicely. I bought it figuring worst case it would make a nice .58.

Nice when u fall into these low cost deals . Like u say , its hard to pass by . :grin:

Nice when you just have to do a small thing like running some steel wool up an down a barrel some to get it shooting good! :thumbsup: cloverleafs at 50 yards is real good. I would see what it shoots at 75 yards just in case you have a longer shot.

Gonna do some more shooting in a couple of days . I'll let you know . Curious to find out myself .

Back