• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Switchin out iron sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hupper

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read that the iron sights on the Cabela's Hawken are not the best, they come loose and such. I was wondering if they could be replaced. Dixie Gun Works has a perty good selection of iron sights. Has anyone changed out their iron sights on a Cabela's Hawken or a Hawken in general?

Depends on the gun. If You don't like the sight, and they are in a dovetail, measure the dovetail, drift it out, and replace the sight. If it is just loose, then stippling the mating surfaces and reinstalling the sight will make it stay put.

If the sight is a screwed on mount, I usually remove the sight and fill the mounting holes with screws. I then file off the screw heads, and hand cut a dovetail to mount a primitive sight.

Track & other BP warehouses sell rear sights that have bases large enough to be filed to fit any dovetail.
: Their sights are very good and what we've been using for years.
: Another good one is sold by Brownells & is the Express sight I used on my .69 rifle. The standing leaf with 3 hinged leaves is supposed to be drifted into the base which is soldered o a round modern barrel. By itself, the top piece with the blade sights, it the part purchased. The base is not needed.
: The price of the top piece is around $96.00 and hasn't changed price in 20 years since I bought mine in 1986.
; THIS is a GREAT sight for a large bored rifle that will kill large game to 200yds. I'd place the limit at 16 bore or larger. The point-blank sight is zero'd for 100yds. and the folding leaves then give sighting for 150 & 200yds. The third leaf was filed for the 300 meter gong target at the local range & smacks home every shot.

Back