• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swivel location on BB carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zetrappeur

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everybody !
I've got a Brown Bess carbine (31" barrel) from Pedersoli. I want put swivels on it also.
I already read this topic and this topic but I didn't find the answer of my question, wich is : on such B. B. carbine, where is the correct location for the swivel that must be in the wood ? (the distance from the muzzle for exemple).
:hatsoff:

You mount the forward sling swivel so that when it lays flat down againt the stock it is resting on a ramrod ferrule. mount it somewhere else and it will get in the way of returning the ramrod to the ramrod hole.

On such a short musket I would mount the sling swivel as stated and then use a sling button on the bottom of the buttstock rather than attached to the triggerguard.

Randy Hedden

Well then I guess the question you should be asking is whether or not an original Bess artillery or calvary carbine had sling swivels and utilized a sling?

On a full size Bess the front sling swivel was in the location I indicated, where the swivel layed down on the second ramrod ferrule from the muzzle.

Your carbine is so short that placing the front swivel at the second ramrod ferrule, (the correct location on full sized Besses), and using the triggerguard sling mount will make the sling area so short that it will not be comfortasble to carry the musket slinged. Hence my suggestion to use a sling button on the buttstock.

However, as always, this is just a suggestion. You can mount the swivels any where you want.

Randy Hedden

Thank you, if you allow me, I use your question :

Whether or not an original Bess artillery or calvary carbine had sling swivels and utilized a sling?

:hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back