• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C 54 Cal Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on bore size, I just take a tubing cutter to various brass cartridge cases and drill out the case heads to accept the RR. .348 Winchester & .45-70 are a couple of favorites, the rimmed cases prevent them from dropping down the bore. I also use these when cleaning to prevent muzzle wear when swabbing away. :v

I've found that 60 grains Goex FFG in my .54 T/C Hawken gives best accuracy. That's shooting .15 patch lubed with bore butter and a Hornady .530 ball and remington or CCI #11 caps. Accuracy seems to fall off at around 90 grains.

I wouldn't hunt with this load, but it's nice and light recoil.

Heading for the range on wednesday
62c94293.gif

Went off with out a hitch. Gun is about 25 or 30 years old. Was dads gun. He never fired it. Shot 3 low and 3 left at 50 yards. Shoots 3 inch group at 50 yards now.
funkybanana.gif

Ill try the 100 yard range next time. I used 80 grains pyrodex.

Keep trying different powder loads, patch thickness, and maybe a different size ball. You should be able to get 3/4"-1" groups at 50 yds with it with a bit of load development. Have fun. :thumbsup:

I've used the Dutch Shoultz method with good results. I use a 7 to 1 mix of water soluable oil on patch material that when heavily compressed measures 0.10 thick. I load 110 grains of 2F Goex, followed by an over-the-powder wad then a .530 ball. Cut the patch at the muzzle. Clean between shots with a spit patch down and back 3 times followed by a dry patch. Always begin with a fouled bore. Should shoot from 1" down to one ragged hole at 50 yds. Velocity thru my chronograph is about 1550fps. Killed a couple of deer with it and they don't go far with a double lung shot. Virtually no recoil with a gun that heavy unless you use 430 grain maxi balls with 120 grains of 2F. Then one or two shots off the bench will be enuf with that brass buttplate!

Thrid trip to the range today :grin: 2nd time I forgot to bring the owners manual with me and I could not remember which way to turn the screws to adjust the sights
2202c3ee.gif

I was shoot ing at 50 yards with a PRB and 80 grains RS pyrodex. To bad I was aming at the big bullseye in the center and not the small bulls eye in the lower left. But the groups are pretty tight. Just need the book next time to fine tune the sights!!!
target.jpg

To move POI right, move rear sight right.
(by turning windage screw clockwise it'll PULL the windage blade to the right...watch it move)

To move POI left, move rear sight left.
(by turning windage screw counter-clockwise it'll PUSH the windage blade to the left...watch it move)

I just bought my first T/C 54 Hawken. I can't tell you how happy I am that I found this forum. I live in the mountains of Colorado and can't wait to get shootin'. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for the forum. Thanks, Ole

Ole said:
I just bought my first T/C 54 Hawken. I can't tell you how happy I am that I found this forum. I live in the mountains of Colorado and can't wait to get shootin'. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for the forum. Thanks, Ole

You have come to the right place...
79731810.gif

I woulda started with 55 gr 2f. Go up from there. Have ya noticed that it's purty hard to get the .530 ball started and down the bore? Was told oncet upon a time the TC .54 is a bit smaller in bore diameter than most other .54's. My son gots one of them TC .54 Hawkens and when he switched to .527 RB's his hand quit hurting so much. Shoots real good, though, even with the tight fitting .530.

Hope you have a "ball" with yer new smokepole.

Otter said:
I woulda started with 55 gr 2f. Go up from there. Have ya noticed that it's purty hard to get the .530 ball started and down the bore? Was told oncet upon a time the TC .54 is a bit smaller in bore diameter than most other .54's. My son gots one of them TC .54 Hawkens and when he switched to .527 RB's his hand quit hurting so much. Shoots real good, though, even with the tight fitting .530.

Hope you have a "ball" with yer new smokepole.

:confused: Interesting...never heard of that before...have put a few hundred .530's through the TC .54's I have in both cap and flint, using TC's .018" pillow ticking patches...I use a short starter with all my rifles but the .54's load the same as the .45 & .50

The TC Hawken I got my son is an "older" one, maybe 20 years old or more. I don't know if that would make any diffrence or not, i.e. maybe TC changed their bore dia in "newer" barrels. Guess a guy could call TC and ask. All I know is a good friend (also a gunsmith) who has shot ML's since he was about 12 told me about the .527 vs .530 balls in THIS particular TC Hawken and it seems to work great. BTW, all my .54's (no TC's) shoot .530's without a hitch.

The .54 caliber is one of my favorite calibers. I only have one T/C Hawkins but a four of the T/C Renegades in .54 caliber. I just like that rifle better for some unknown reason.

All of my .54 caliber shoot best with 80-95 grains of Goex 2f or Pyrodex RS. Most of them shoot best with 90 grains. I use 100% pillow tick as patch and Stumpkiller's moosemilk Castor Oil mix as a lube. I like to dry patch, but I do spritz them from time to time to just get them a little wet. I will never go back to anything else.

Also all my .54 calibers shoot a .530 roundball. As Roundball said, I need a short starter to load them but once started down the bore there is little trouble loading them. Even on a fowled barrel. I guess all rifles are different.

Good luck with your .54 caliber Hawkins. You have a great rifle there and it will hunt anything you need... :thumbsup:

Otter said:
The TC Hawken I got my son is an "older" one, maybe 20 years old or more. I don't know if that would make any diffrence or not, i.e. maybe TC changed their bore dia in "newer" barrels. Guess a guy could call TC and ask. All I know is a good friend (also a gunsmith) who has shot ML's since he was about 12 told me about the .527 vs .530 balls in THIS particular TC Hawken and it seems to work great. BTW, all my .54's (no TC's) shoot .530's without a hitch.

That is interesting. My Hawken is 25 or 30 years old. I use a .530 round ball and a .015 prelubed cotton patch. Im switching to pillow ticking. I use a short starter and it takes some effort to get the ball down there.

cayugad. What patch do you use?

cayugad said:
The .54 caliber is one of my favorite calibers. I only have one T/C Hawkins but a four of the T/C Renegades in .54 caliber. I just like that rifle better for some unknown reason.

All of my .54 caliber shoot best with 80-95 grains of Goex 2f or Pyrodex RS. Most of them shoot best with 90 grains. I use 100% pillow tick as patch and Stumpkiller's moosemilk Castor Oil mix as a lube. I like to dry patch, but I do spritz them from time to time to just get them a little wet. I will never go back to anything else.

Also all my .54 calibers shoot a .530 roundball. As Roundball said, I need a short starter to load them but once started down the bore there is little trouble loading them. Even on a fowled barrel. I guess all rifles are different.

Good luck with your .54 caliber Hawkins. You have a great rifle there and it will hunt anything you need... :thumbsup:

cayugad. What patch do you use?

Sean.. I buy a couple yards of 100% cotton pillow tick at Wal Mart. I wash it to remove the sizing and then line dry it. I tear that into strips and moosemilk it. I then cut my patch at the muzzle. As far as I am concerned there will be no other way for me to shoot roundball then this. I get excellent accuracy...

roundball said:
***Sean*** said:
I picked up a TC range rod.
If you're referring to their solid black aluminum range rod, I agree they're good ones...stiff and strong, have a couple myself.

However, I worry about muzzle wear with that hard ramrod and will mention you might want to consider getting a few cheap, lightweight nylon muzzle guides from Builder's Supply.

Or you can buy a shotgun bore guide and drill it out.
boreguide.jpg

Forth trip to the range and about 75 shots later
62c94293.gif

I finaly have it shootin straight :thumbsup:
Great tip on marking the rod. I was packing a ball and went way to far past my mark. You guesed it. No powder and had to pull the ball. That takes a bit of effort!!!

Fifty yard bench rest. The ones near the bull eye were the last few shots. I loaded 25 round balls today. 80 grains RS and I switched to prelubed TC pillow ticking .015 and 490 round balls.
target54.jpg

Back