• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alrod013

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have been looking at a pre-owned Thompson Center .54 cal Hawken. It looks almost new. Gun shop owner said the guy only fired it a couple of times and decided he did not like it. Asking price is $400. Can't seem to find one online to see what "new" price is. Does $400 sound right?

Seems a bit high to me as well, unless it's a special addition or from the T/C custom shop. I would ask to see the condition of the bore via a bore light as well as pulling the lock to make sure there's no rust. If everything checks out then make him an offer of $325 and see what he says. How much higher you or he is willing to go is the negotiation part of the deal.

If it is the only T/C Hawken .54 in your area, it is in excelent condition and you get a possibles bag full of stuff, I would still be inclined to pass. Although the price of a new one is more than that there are just too many of them to pay that kind of money.

There are plenty of good second hand T/C Hawkens out there for a song and dance.

$200-$325 would be a good range. And it isn't unheard of for folks to find them for less than that.

ya see 54cal hawkens on gunbroker in the $400.00 price range on a regular basis. unless they are in excellent to like new condition they get relisted & relisted 'cause nobody bids on'em. for what it's worth & have a good'en, bubba.

Nothing comes with the Hawken I looked at. I looked for an hour today and can't find a new one listed anywhere. Did they discontinue the .54? Found plenty of new .50's with a price of $475 or so. Would rather get something new, so might go with the .50 instead.

Thanks for the input. :bow:

Yeah actually now that I think of it that was a limited production thing.
The typical TC "Hawken" has a 15/16" barrel.
The 54's where/are a 1" barrel like the Renegade.

I think I misspoke!! The Hawken I saw for $475 was used. The new ones run over $700!! This is going to put a kink in my timetable for sure. :cursing:

there's so many excellent to like new ones around that there's no need to fret about a new one. for 700 bucks you can pay for a 45, 50 & likely most of a 54 if ya don't panic & just look around a bit. tons of them on gunbroker every day. luck & have a good'en friend, bubba.

Unless you are dead set on owning a T/C, check out the Lyman Trade Rifle which comes in .50 or .54. I would shoulder both rifles if you can and see which one fits you best, if you can. A new TR will set you back around $350 plus shipping. Just food for thought.

Take your time. I got BURNED on a TC .54 flintlock Hawken on gunbroker when the seller out and out lied about the bore condition. Then he hid behind the "as is" policy. I ripped him on the reviews.....if it isn't a violation of rules, I'd like to share his name here.

Greg

Wouldn't do much good not everyone goes on GB.
I got almost burned on a barrel off fleabay.
Same as you the guy was selling "As Is" but he also mentioned "bore in good condition".
The 54 bore was almost a 45 because of caked rust!!
I opened a dispute and sent the guy a bunch of photo's.
Long story short he sent a bunch of the money back to my account and I paid him $20 for the sights and rail.

Will go back and check out the .54 Hawken I saw at the local gunshop. Like I said, it looks brand new and the shop owner said it had only been fired a couple of times before being hung on the wall, then sold. I have a bore light, so will check that out. No blemishes on the barrel or other metal parts and only one very minor ding in the wood just behind the lock. Brass is all nice and shiny. He wants $400 for it, but I will try to get him down some. Have looked at all sorts of used rifles online and the average price is about $300-$375. When you throw in shipping, that drives it up. I live in a rural area, so not much of a choice locally.

I have been burned with purchasing on the internet and will not bother you with the details.

My wife said that she would take, my credit card and phone away if I bought again on the internet from an individual.

When you figure the cost of shipping to purchase an item, inspect it and find it has been misrepresented and you have to pay return shipping on the item, it's not worth it. Oh, then, if UPS or USPS or FedEx destroy the item, the fight starts anew along with the seller not being honest.

Often it's better to pay more up front and deal with a local if possible.

Go in with the needed stuff to inspect the rifle from on end to the other properly, green money and have a price in mind, and stick to your price, M/L are not flying out of stores today.

That is what I plan on doing. Will take some time and give it a good once over. Have bought other BP accessories from this guy, so I am a customer. He had 4 other rifles that he has sold. This one is the best of the lot as far as condition. The others were cheaper, but not as clean or as good a brand.

Not really such a bad price,54's are not rare in the Hawken line but nit found as often as 45 or 50 cal.Think about it longand hard the old bird in the hand applies here.I own two 54 TC Hawkens flinter and caplock.Both shoot really well after some range time and smoke making :grin:

I was going to add that it's a little high and it is but if you really want it and can afford it then go for it! I bought mine with a perfect bore and very minor dings for $ 250 a couple of years ago. However I have slightly over paid when a firearm was talking to me! Geo. T.

Will try to talk him down.If he won't budge, then I might pass...although it is talking to me real loud!! :yakyak: I think one of the things that I like about it is that it was fired only a couple of times. The guy originally bought it for hunting, then decided it was too much work. Sold it and bought a modern rifle. Most of the other ones I have seen in shops or online did not look this good. Cheaper maybe, but I will pay a little more for "like new". If the shop owner won't budge, will probably pass and check back in a couple of weeks and hope it is still there!! It has been in his shop for at least 4 months that I know of.

alrod013 said:
Will try to talk him down.
As someone else already said, Bring Cash.
And do pull the money out of your pocket,, Not out of your wallet,, out of your pocket.
A Wad of $20's fanned out look a lot more impressive than a few folded $100's, :wink:

It all depends on where your from, Im east coast..Ive been west coast and I know a lot is similar. Whenever you get too many people gathered, with not enogh elbow room to go around.. things get more expensive, and a lot harder to find, and have a lot more restrictions. The price of everything gets crazy. a lot of pricing is location. but now in the age of the interweb and shipping anywhere, this can be overcome also. Its very hard to find a deal on the auction sites.. those usually get sold locally without ever getting advertized anywhere. youll see the same old guns getting posted over and over at crazy high prices and nobody bids..others research and see these asking prices and figure thats the going value, Its not, just because someone may hope for more doesnt mean the value suddenly went up. the market for everything guns and ammo now is crazy.

Back