• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shdwlkr...

If your "new" :grin: Hawken has a 1" barrel, then the .54 out of the Renegade should just drop in, I am thinking. This was the case with my son's Renegade, it and my Hawken both having 1" (across-the-flats) barrels. :thumbsup: However, some Hawkens use the 7/8" barrel, in which case it won't work. :2

If your Hawken is in any way made well/good condition, you should have a good shooter. Mine is very accurate with PRB unless I go over 80g FFg.

"When you see the smoke on the wind, look for me."

I have a TC 50 Cal Hawken and a TC 54 Cal Hawken plus a TC 45 cal Seneca. This fall I plan to shoot a doe during the doe season with the 45. Just have to give it a try the other two rifles have already made meat.

My wife found a T/C Hawken kit at a garage sale. She called and asked me if I wanted it for $50.00. I said yes. Only one part was missing and T/C sent it to me for free even after I explained the gun was bought at a garage sale. I glass bedded the barrel, finished the gun up, and it is one of my favorite guns now. I also bought a 1 in 66" round ball barrel for it, and thought I would have to redo the bedding, but the barrel went in snuggly and it shoots great. Our club had a match last Sunday and I took 1st place, even beating out the guys with their scoped muzzle loaders. Guess these 65 year old eyes can still see good enough to get the job done. :grin:

I have 2. My first is a .45 that I cut grass to save money and I (dad) bought it when I was 16. About a year later I WON a .50 kit that was finished along with a really nice wood case, ball starter, and a powder horn. First and only gun I ever won. I think that Dad had to go with to pick that one up too. Shortly after this I found girls and am just getting back into BP.
Mark

I bought a TC Renegade.54 in 1980 and kept it for about 10 years and sold it to buy a hand gun i wanted.I often thought about the good time i had shooting that Renegade. Just a little while back i found a used Renegade .54 for a good price and have been having a good time shooting it and vowed to never to sell this one.

Hello Jack
I shot with a brand new T/C hawken in .45. I love this rifle , but the only thing is that the rear sight looks to modern for me, I prefer an old buckhorn, in fact I think its a very good choice and much better than italian or spanish models.

Michel :bull:

50 Cal Hawkens here, built for my dad back around 1973. Bore is a little rough from a few years of neglect, but he gave it to me 18 months ago, and it is a work in progress.

Dave

I built mine from a kit when I was 17, my grand dad bought it for me for my birthday, paid $175 I had a buckhorn sight dovetailed onto it.
I used it alot at fun shoots an' rendezvous. When started hunting with it I switsched to a tang mounted peep sight. Now that I'm getting back into buckskinning I'll go back to the buckhorn. Oh yeah it's .50 cal, 'bout the only other "modification" is I ground off the cheek rest, I'm left handed and didn't use it anyway.
It's a GREAT rifle though, and T/C are great folks!!

I guess I should join in the TC love fest... I have a TC Hawken that I picked up for cheap from a gunsmith. It looked great externally (except for one broken brass screw on the escutcheon), but the .50 bore was sooo rusty that a 30 cal bullet would not make it to the breech plug if you dropped it in. I got rid of that barrel and did some horse trading with Liver Eatin Johnson to get a .45 barrel for it. I have only shot it at the range.

I also have a Renegade (a part of a package deal) that has a .50 barrel (really would rather have a .54 for it) that I have never shot. I also have a 12 gauge Toledo arms barrel (NIB!) to fit the Renegade.

Hello FF,

I own the same T/C as yours and I agree with you about the rear sight.
I posted the question on this Forum about this "problem" and got a lot of answers.
Finally did you change it for another ?

-----30 some years ago I took the rear sight off my TC Hawken--dove tailed the barrel and installed a leaf sight--more accurate and looks better--also replaced front sight with a flat blade-----

Hello,

I took the rear sight off for a Buckhorn with a flat base.
I used the existing hole and screw and drilled a second hole.
I think I would prefer to cut a dovetail but I was not sure to do it as well as it need.
Michel.

My TC Hawken after I added a 32" TC Roundball barrel with a TC Front Blade sight and a Buckhorn Rear Sight from the Hawken Shop.

TCHawken002.jpg
[/img]

TCHawken004.jpg
[/img]

Robert

I own 2
A .50 flinter I bought about 5 years ago. I used some Perm Blue on the brass to knock the shine down.
I also own by dad's .45 percussion. I think it might have been built from a kit but I'm not sure. Dad put peep sights on it as his eyesight was failing. I have left them on.
The T/C's are well made. Dad also had a Seneca in .36 caliber. It was a very handy.
little rifle. One of my nephews got it.
Also got Dad's Patriot Pistol in .45. Too bad they never made this pistol in a flinter.

Jack,

I bought a TC Hawken kit in 1976. Still shooting it but now I tell the wife that after 32 years I'm ready for a new rifle. :wink: GW

I traded a TC Encore .50 last fall for a great .50 Hawken percussion and some boot. I gave this muzzleloader to my father in law to use and keep if he wanted it. He never took it hunting as he uses recurve bows exclusively to hunt deer. Well, my father in law just gave me this Hawken back because he would “never use it.” Only one little problem I have to deal with now. He has left the gun loaded for almost a year. I am going to try and shoot it out in the next day or so. It should be dry, but who knows. The return of this Hawken brings my TC count up to four

50. New Englander
54. New Englander
.50 Gray Hawk (yea, I know, sorry)
.50 Hawken (Never to leave my possession again)

Jerem0621 (1st post in a while)

I just ordered one for my T/C
T/C no longer makes its own Primative Sights

http://www.thegunworks.com

Rear Sight - Full Buckhorn(503) $20.00
Drilled and Tapped to Fit TC Rifles - In White Manufactured by Custom

This steel full buckhorn rear sight has been drilled and tapped with 3 mounting holes so it can be fitted to any of the Thompson Center Hawkens or Renegades. Comes in the white, requiring either blueing or browning. Mounting screws not included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back