• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonehunter

58 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the dif. between t/c hawkens and the hawkens woodsman the only thing I can tell is the length, the weight,and the $$$. am I missing something?? I have the hawkens is it the better of the two? or are they about the same gun? Thanks :hmm:

I have a TC Hawkens. I have seen and held, but never shot, the Woodsman Hawkens. Naturally, I prefer the TC Hawkens, but that is what I have. But that does not make me right about anything. Thompson Center makes a very good product, in my opinion.

I have read and seen problems with the Traditions brand guns, but I have seen some posts on this forum by people with problems with Thompson Center. I have not had any problems with mine in 16 years of ownership.

If you are doing well with your gun, and can't afford a TC, then you are okay.

Wish I could tell you more.

Outdoorman

The Traditions Woodsman Hawken cost 1/2 what the T/C sells for.

The T/C has a lifetime warranty, and it's made in the US.

The Traditions Hawkens is like the old CVA Hawkens. Both are good shooters and good first rifles. The T/C is a step up. Better quality locks, walnut stock instead of a stained hardwood and metal sights compared to plastic ones. I built a .50 cal. Traditions Hawkens for my son-in-law for his first rifle. Our first range session the Traditions nipple broke in two after five shots. Replaced it with an after market nipple and it's still going. This was followed by a .50 cal. T/C Hawkens.

Like what everybody says. I have both of them. I favor the Tradition as of late due to it being alb lighter. I bought it cheap and killed two deer with it with two shots. I redone the whole gun as it had been abused. Its only a half lb heavier then my bobcat and is more traditional looking. I have 10 Spainish guns and have killed more game with them then all my other guns. Dilly

The T/C has most likely been that starter rifle for most BP rifle. You see aton of them at Rondy. They are quality rifles, that shoot well enough. I have seen a lot of blanket prizes won with the T/C. I am not familiar with the other rifle.

I have the Traditions Hawken Woodsman and have compared it side by side with the TC's. Here is what I have found to be different. 1) The TC stock is slightly longer at the butt and has a cheek piece. 2)The TC breech plug is a one piece, snail and nipple design where the Traditions has the drum bored into the barrel/breechplug to integrate the system. There are unique benefits to both of these styles. 3) The factory installed nipple on a Traditions tends to crack or splinter sooner or later, replace it before shooting the rifle. The other hardware and barrel appear to be of similar high quality. I have been very happy with my Traditions which I have owned for 3 years now and shoot regularly. Accurate and durable. It has a Lifetime warranty also ( manufacturing defects) so I doubt if they are as liberal as TC with their warranty service, especially since they import thier product and don't actually manufacture it right here in the good ol USA. TC has been producing their rifle continuously for quite a long time now and holds the distinction of having the most factory produced reproduction black powder rifles out in the world today. That means you can find some good deals on used ones.

Don't confuse the newer Traditions with the older CVA's. The locks, triggers and barrels are of a much better quality now than many of those older Spanish made replicas. I have/had both.

had a tc hawken, i owned it for a week before i sold it. Stock is to straight forward making recoil uncomfortable. That thing when loaded with 80gr pyrodex rs and a .490 round ball kicked harder than my .58 mountain rifle loaded with 100gr pyrodex.

nice guns but damned if i would ever pay $600 for one.

Most folks will turn $700.00 worth of parts into a $100.00 gun.

The price of a new T/C is way too high, but they are about the best of the mass produced guns.

Latest posts

Back