• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C hawkins capping problem, help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
T/C hawkins, 50cal. At half cock, there is not enought room to install #11 cap, hammer sets to close to nipple, almost flush. Using rifle nipple. What is the problem? Is there a adjustment, something broken, or what ? Help

No problem, that is the way all T/C locks are. You have to put it on full cock to cap it, then lower it all the way and bring back to half cock. Don't just lower it from full cock to half cock, as the sear will only be setting on the fly and won't actually engage the half cock notch.

This would not seem to be a good thing. one slip and gun goes BANG. sounds dangerous. this FLY, when is it suppost to work[little piece hanging down?]? I can not see it doing anything. when I let hammer down slowly from full cock, sear rides over this piece and hammer hits nipple????

That's correct...the fly "allows" the hammer to move from full cock to hit the cap...otherwise when you intentionally fired it, the hammer would stop at half cock...

The fly lets the hammer fall past the half cock notch when you fire, without hanging up on the notch. I agree, it isn't the best idea T/C had, but i think they figure it is kind of a safety, so that if the hammer gets knocked off half cock, it doesn't have far enough to fall to set off the cap. You just have to be careful when letting the hammer down and then returning it to the half cock notch.

I now understand the FLY. However, it seems it be rather dum and dangerous for t/c to manf a lock that has to be capped on full cock, then let down hammer to cap and then bring back to half cock.the hammer is much more likely to fall on full cock, than half cock[helt by nock]Since I can not believe t/c is a dum and dangerous manf, I must be missing something.It would require only making the SQUARE that the hammer fits into, just a few degrees off,there is plenty of room and travle fot hammer. what is it that I don't understand ?

Thats the way my new englander is as well as my gpr. only my traditions hawken allows enough clearance at half cock to cap.

rebel, I just edited previs post, why can't it be changed [angle of square ]

Phil, my hatfield is capped on half cock. wonder about all the other locks, the more expensive ones.

I imagine it could be, but they aren't going to re-tool just to do it. They been doing it that way for ever, so don't figure they will ever change it. Buy yourself a flintlock, then you won't have that problem with putting caps on. :grin:

I got here late today (Christmas and all) so all you folks beat me to the answers! :)

Thanks
Zonie

It's just a guess, but I think T/Cs idea is if the nipple is capped at full cock, and the hammer is lowered down and brought up to the very low half cock, there is less chanch of a branch catching on the hammer.
Using this rationale it might be safer?

I for one like that the hammer "gaurds" the nipple closely. I understand the "Eeebee jeebees" that having to lower the hammer after capping gives. But with the brush I tend to be in... It's nice to know the cap will not get hit by a twig very easly as I move in the brush.

I agree with TC's being "made that way". I often see them where the sear/tubler etc. interfere to the point of danger! One would not allow the sear to seat in the fullcock notch. Good strong half cock engagement but dangerously little at full. A curious bulge prevented the adjustment screw from even touching anything. Owners of TC's should check their locks, especially if they may have mismatched lock "innards".

zonie, I don't see that being it[safer]. setting at half cock, the hammer has to be pulled back to almost full cock, to allow FLY to overide half cock, and drop on cap.the amount of force need to do this is alot. a trig, no , tree trunk yes if rifle helt just right. this same amount of force applied to the back of hammer could very readly break sear and pop cap. Got to be some other reason. Can you cap the better locks, $100 app on half cock?

I have a T/C .54 Hawken, and mine has plenty of room to cap at half cock when using a capping tool. It would be hard without the tool.

welcome matt sutton, I wonder if there is a difference between 54cal & 50 cal. Is your t/c new or older? Does any one else have t/c hawkins that can be capped at half cock?

I have a T/C Hawkin 50 Cal and I don't have that issue. Maybe you should call the service department.

ss1 said:
welcome matt sutton, I wonder if there is a difference between 54cal & 50 cal. Is your t/c new or older? Does any one else have t/c hawkins that can be capped at half cock?

It shouldn't have a thing to do with caliber as the geometry of the barrel to to the lock doesn't change with caliber. I'm not sure but it might be that newer T/C locks have a higher half cock position than older ones. I have a handful of T/C caplocks and most have the low half cock position but one of them does have a higher half cock.

FWIW, I have shot T/C caplocks for 30 years and have never had, or even come close to having, an accident lowering the hammer from the full cock position after capping.

Back