• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your hitting low , RAISE your site !!!!!!!!

Raise your REAR sight if your hitting low. Always move the rear sight in the direction you want to move the group.

(Front sight adjustment is just the opposite of the rear sight)
:m2c:

After all the years of playing with scopes everyone was right I moved the sights the wrong direction. :redface: Once I mended my ways I finally shot a 2" group about 2.5 inches above the bullseye at 50yds. :D About 20 minutes later after helping someone with a scope it happened again. :: So I cleaned her, oiled her put her in the case. Now if next Saturday will hurry up I headed to Leakesville, MS. Have the whole week to hunt during the rut.
I let everyone know the outcome. Thanks for all the help.

Texasdave

Do you know for sure your TC Hawken has slow twist rifling (1:66 or 1:70)? Those are the twist's that work best with PRB.

I have a Hawken 50 cal. kit I built many years ago and it has the 1:48 twist. The 1:48 was designed to stabilize conicals. Although it was advertised as capable of shooting PRB mine never would group them well enough to satisfy me for hunting. I never experienced groups as large as you described using PRB.

Not sure if this could be the root of your problem but it might be part of the cause.
I have a brand new T/C Hawken adn sold the unfired barrel (1:48 twist) and order a brand new (1:60 twist) from Fox Ridge outfitters. I sold the unfired barrel on ebay for $140.00 shipped.
I recommned using the round ball twist for round ball shooting. 1:48 is better suited for conicals, 1:28 for sabots, etc.

I new the question would come up about ability.

sorry if it sounded like a question bout ability it wasn't meant to be....just saying the diffculty bout shooting offhand with any weapon at any range compaired to a rest at any range thats all....once again sorry........................bob

Texasdave

Welcome to the world of bp. Your proplen is not new by any means. Years ago I went though the same kinda thing your goin throuh now includin puttin the thing on the shelf.

Black Power and muzzleloading is a world apart from modern cartridge stuff. Now listen closely. You must duplicat exactly your routine shot to shot with no execption. Any diviation will effect your poi. Onec you get it to shoot well you will love it. In fact I have quite a few muzzleloaders and hunt almost exclusively with them leaving the moderns in the cabnet,

Every rifle is different and likes to be loaded differently but here is what I do and it works with all my rifles. All my rifles shoot better than I do and my lack of ragged holes it atributed to me not the rifles.

Try this. This is not perfection but it does work for me.

I have been able to eliminated the need for a fouling shot. I load at home and go hunting or load at the range and shoot. The first to second shot is the hardest to keep constant difficult to duplicate. The condition of the barrel after the first shot,in a clean barrel, makes all the difference.

This is my load and how I shoot shot to shot from a clean barrel.

Dry barrel with a couple of patches making sure to blow plenty of air throuh the nipple while runnin the patch up and down the barrel.

I load 70 grains of 3f Goex.

I use Ox Yoke .015 prelube patches with a Hornaby .49 ball.

Make sure you apply the same pressure when seatin the ball..

Now shoot.

After the shot take a piece of flannel, I use a 2 1]2" square patch I cut from a yard or so I get from Wal Mart,

I then use an atomizer bought a Walmart that was filled with some cheap perfume and put three or four squirts of wd40 on the flannel. Take your jag and run the patch down and back once only. Now turn the patch over and run it down and back once only.

Now load as above and repeat as often as the smile is on your face, shot to shot. LOL

I am not saying this is perfect and alway keep experimenting with new methiods. This is the fun of muzzleloading.

If nothing else it's a good starting place. I like a clean barrel shot to shot. Don't be to quick to change your sights. Remember you want groups not bullseyes at the beginning. Once you get er to group you can adjust for the bull. Take your time and as said before change only one thing at a time. Make sure you sight picture is the exact same shot to shot and make every shot a suprise.

Well this is what I do and it works well for me. Let me know how you make out.

Good luck

Gary

Well gentlemen I am back from hunting it's going to be a long winter. I didn't make meat. You would have to see deer in order to do so. Hunted 5 days with 6 other guys no one killed a deer. Usually, have no trouble slippin up on a fat old doe.
Hunting in South Mississippi has been strange this year. Good news is this gives me 9 months to work on shooting the Hawkens. Thanks for all the help.

Texasdave

Latest posts

Back