• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C lock issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWSpinks

32 Cal
Reaction score
I inherited a couple rifles from my uncle, one is the Thompson Center Hawken version. It is unfired.

The lock will not engage in the full cock position and will not fall below half cock. Before I take it apart I was wanting to know if anyone could take a guess at what I should be looking for. Or maybe what it's supposed to look like.

I also noticed That the hammer looks like it may be bent a little to the left. I'm wondering if it got damaged in shipping. Also, if you pull the set trigger, the firing trigger seems to function but doesn't have any effect on the hammer.

Attachments

• IMG_7407.JPG
    IMG_7407.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7408.JPG
    IMG_7408.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I was given a TC Hawken that was missing the lock. I bought a replacement from L&R. It was of a lot higher quality than L&R's other locks and probably a whole lot better than the original. For 200 bucks it's something to think about.

Yes, take the lock out. Depending how long the rifle has been in storage, the oils and greases may have dried out or jelled into something that is keeping the lock from functioning properly. There are threads on the forum on taking a T/C lock apart and cleaning it up. Look at the lock mortise to see if there are signs of rubbing that may be keeping the lock from cycling. It seems as if @waarp8nt has previously provided a link to the disassembly of a T/C lock. It will give @AWSpinks some insight into the internal workings of his lock.

I have owned a T/C of some sort for a little over 30 years and over those years I have purchased a several used ones in need of clean up. I keep pipe cleaners on hand in my shooting box to clean and oil nipples and flashliners, so why not use something that is already in the old shooter box? I have been using this method to remove the mainspring for quite sometime and thought it might be worth sharing. This is my 1st attempt at a "how to video", so hope you enjoy it.

Watch "Thompson Center T/C or Interarms / Lyman Lock Spring Disassembly" on YouTube
https://youtube.com/shorts/b5-7PmMML0k?feature=share

When you take the lock out to check for function make sure the two small screws that hold the bridle plate on are good and tight. As for the hammer, that is the normal angle for a TC Hawken hammer.

The lock will not engage in the full cock position and will not fall below half cock.
It’s possibly a mechanical issue with the lock, or maybe some stock wood in the way of something, but as @Grenadier1758 suggests, try the lock with it removed from the stock first. If it works, likely an interference in with the stock. If not working when removed from the stock, I would bet on a dried out lubricant issue. With luck, soaking in a solvent will loosen things up. If that’s the case, soaking in solvent is not the solution, just means you need to tear down the lock, clean and de-burr the components, then lubricate and reassemble. My uneducated opinion. More opinions to come.

Long time T/C shooter... make sure your lock screw is not too tight. I've had several T/C's that much tighter than finger tight will cause lock to bind.

Lots of good advice here, especially with regard to the fly. I would add that one other possibility might be a weak or missing sear spring. This is a very tiny (easy to lose) coil spring on T/C locks.

Good luck with it. Please let us know what you find.

Notchy Bob

Back