• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C New Englander loads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyc

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloading and just purchased a used T/C New Englander. The person who I was speaking to about purchasing the gun game me lots of advise. I would like to confirm the load he suggested. He sold me 50 cal, .490 round balls and said 80g of Pyrodex is his standard hunting load.

I'm going to go shoot my new (used) gun today and am very excited. I am a bow hunter and enjoy traditional methods of hunting. For guns this is obviously muzzleloading... Can't wait!

Jeremy

I am new to muzzleloading and just purchased a used T/C New Englander. The person who I was speaking to about purchasing the gun game me lots of advise. I would like to confirm the load he suggested. He sold me 50 cal, .490 round balls and said 80g of Pyrodex is his standard hunting load.

I'm going to go shoot my new (used) gun today and am very excited. I am a bow hunter and enjoy traditional methods of hunting. For guns this is obviously muzzleloading... Can't wait!

Jeremy

JC, you can call TC and they'll send you for free one of their owner's manuals which has all the load data charts in the back, different calibers, different projectiles, etc.

Looking at one right now, it shows the .50cal patched ball powder charge range is 50-110 grns of FFg blackpowder, or Pyrodex-RS which is a blackpowder FFg equivalent.

50grns is excellent for playing at the range...I happen to like max loads for hunting...most TC barrels are similar, being mass produced and I found TC's .018" prelubed pillow ticking gave the tightest groups in my Hawkens with Hornady .490's, but if all you can find locally / quickly is .015" prelubed cotton patches, they gave respectable groups for me...I just like stronger, tighter weave pillow ticking for more powerful hunting loads.

I've got a T/C New Englander coming and due to arrive any day now (can't wait!). I was going to have the same question, so thanks for getting it started Jeremy! Now I'm down to only 999,998 questions left unanswered! :crackup:

JC, you can call TC and they'll send you for free one of their owner's manuals which has all the load data charts in the back, different calibers, different projectiles, etc.

Thanks for the tip. I called them today and they were happy to send me a manual.

Jeremy

JeremyC I have the new englander in 54 cal. my load is goex 3f 85 to 90 grains a wad and a REAL 380 conical,gun is a tack driver easy to carry all day when hunting I use RWS 1075 plus cap and a hot shot nipple,love the gun
The gun will also shoot the Hornady 240 grain mag. sabot with the same powder charge excellent

I have a New Englander with 3 barrels. One barrel is a 12 ga and likes 80FF and 1 1/2 oz #4's for turkey. The other 2 barrels are .54 cal., one with fiber optic sights, the other with a scope (I know, but as you get older you have to do what you have to do. This gun is my main hunting gun. I use a flintlock for all other shooting.) Both barrels shoot very well. Both use a 80FF. .530 RB and T/C .018" patches. I did find with all these barrels they would not group at all with FFF powder.

Back