• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c renagade barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzzly

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to this sport of muzzleloading and looking foward to hunting with them.I have a mint t/c renegade I got for $50,.50 caliber,percussion. I would like to get a shotgun for turkeys, but can't seem to find a percussion gun except for the double barrels and they're a bit pricey. I was told I may be able to get a shotgun barrel for the renegade , that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

grizzzly said:
I am new to this sport of muzzleloading and looking foward to hunting with them.I have a mint t/c renegade I got for $50,.50 caliber,percussion. I would like to get a shotgun for turkeys, but can't seem to find a percussion gun except for the double barrels and they're a bit pricey. I was told I may be able to get a shotgun barrel for the renegade , that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Call GM (Green Mountain Barrel Company)...they make drop in barrels for TC Hawkens & Renegades...one of which is an excellent 1" x 33" drop-in .62cal/.20ga smoothbore barrel.

And better yet, their normal price of about $160 is cut to a special $100 sale right now...phone # is on their website. (the $100 specials are not on the website...you have to call them)

As an alternative to Roundball's suggestion, especially if you want something a bit larger than the 20guage, is to look around for a TC New Englander, which has an optional 12ga barrel, available from Fox Ridge Outfitters. The NE is frequently seen on the internet auctions (Gunbroker.com and[url] auctionarms.com[/url])and often go for $125 to 150. Most NE owners are very satisfied with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
now that you have a source for shotguns how about helping all of us find some more 50.00 renegades or hawkens or patriots, or senecas or cherokees. etc etc. etc.

My .54 Renegade was a little higher priced. I got it at an auction for $75 , a couple of years ago. :thumbsup:

Some years ago I bought a new old stock Toledo Arms 12 bore percussion barrel for my Renegade 54, but have never used it. It's half octagon - half round, 28" with the choke constriction between modified and improved modified. Drops right into the Renegade, looks great on it and sure makes it feel light after the 54 barrel. They are not made anymore though and carry a high price tag if you find one.

And better yet, their normal price of about $160 is cut to a special $100 sale right now

Short of stealing one, this is the cheapest way to get into a BP shotgun. I talked to GM this morning and they still have .62s, although one less than before I called.

Geraldo said:
And better yet, their normal price of about $160 is cut to a special $100 sale right now

Short of stealing one, this is the cheapest way to get into a BP shotgun. I talked to GM this morning and they still have .62s, although one less than before I called.
:thumbsup:
It really is...buying barrels has let me afford to experiment with something different about every year...different rifles, calibers, different smoothbores, gauges, etc.

And $100 for a brand new 1" x 33" x .62cal barrel "IS" almost stealing...

I will be calling GM to get one for that price !! Can you have choke tubes installed in them or can you get them to pattern good for turkey without them ? Thanks everyone for your help so far !!
John

I just ordered my .62 smoothbore barrel for my renegade from GM Barrel Co. Great deal!!! Does anyone know a good gunsmith to install choke tubes ? Thanks, John

grizzzly said:
I just ordered my .62 smoothbore barrel for my renegade from GM Barrel Co. Great deal!!! Does anyone know a good gunsmith to install choke tubes ? Thanks, John
John, have you finalized what it is you're planning to hunt with it and are you sure you want to have it set up for choke tubes?

Reason I ask is...and this assumes you got a muzzleloader smoothbore barrel to use it like a traditional smoothbore barrel would have been used is that "constrictive chokes" can interfere with the use of traditional wads and cards in a smoothbore.
For example, if you were to use Circle Fly's prelubed cushion wads, they are made "bore size"...but if you force them through a "constrictive choke" like a screw in choke, they will get compressed smaller, then won't seal tightly inside the full size bore after they get pushed through the smaller diameter screw in choke.

I've heard about three attempts to alleviate the wad compression problem of screw in chokes:

>>>One attempt is to use Oxyoke pre-lubed Wonderwads with can be slightly bent (bowed) and pushed through the choke, and then you have to turn them flat to seat them down;
>>>Another attempt is to use several over shot cards bowing them through the choke the same way then getting them all turned flat behind the choke to seat them down...you lose the benefit of lube just using cards instead of Circle Fly or Oxyoke wads.
>>>And another attempt is to unscrew the screw-in choke every time to load the smoothbore then screw the choke back in.

None of these approaches serve the shooter very well if you're intention is to use it for something like trap, skeet, doves, quail, etc where there's an expectation of lots of shots, possibly in a short amount of time. If your only interest is to use it for a one shot situation like Turkey hunting, then those approaches would probably work even if it was aggravating to do all that.

By contrast, a "Jug Choke" works by creating an expansion chamber that is actually slightly larger than the cylinder bore so no wad compression occurs and you just load powder, wad, shot, OS card, and take your next shot. You tell the gunsmith what choke you want created...(ie: IC, Mod, Full)...based on the majority of what you're planning to use the smoothbore barrel for...and he'll hone out the expansion chamber the amount required (.015"/.020"/.025", etc)...to create that degree of choke.

When I get the barrel I will have to pattern it first to see what it will do. I am going to use it for turkey hunting.Hopefully it will pattern well out to 25 yards.I have never loaded any shotguns before so any recommendations to start with would be a big help. It's a percussion gun. Thanks for the help, John

grizzzly said:
When I get the barrel I will have to pattern it first to see what it will do. I am going to use it for turkey hunting.Hopefully it will pattern well out to 25 yards.I have never loaded any shotguns before so any recommendations to start with would be a big help. It's a percussion gun. Thanks for the help, John

I use Bob Spencer's Turkey load...you might want to bookmark this site...an excellent article by someone with hands on experience...I use his Turkey load and filled both my tags this spring.

If you'll be calling them to you inside a woods setting, then Bob's .62cal Turkey load should do fine at the 20-25 yard range out of the cylinder bore as is...I wanted more range to take turkeys out in a field so I had mine Jug Choked 'Full'...averages 16 #6s in a 3.5" circle at 40yds.
[url] http://members.aye.net/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Grizzzly, my .20 ga cylinder bore shot good with 70 grs of Goex 3f, 4 thin overshot card wads, 1 1/4 Oz of #5 lead shot, and another overshot card wad. It patterned well out to between 25-28 yds.

Latest posts

Back