• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c renegade .50 cal load ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthom1898

Pilgrim
Reaction score
new to muzzleloaders. shot my .50 today, 80 grs. ff graf powder & wonder wad over powder & 320 lee real cast pure lead. seems to shoot ok 2" three shots at 50 yrds. is this about right ? thanks. :bow:

I would back off to 70 grains, shoot 3-5 rounds, move up 5 grains etc.

Work your way up and see if the group tightens up.

Each rifle with any given ball/bullet/patch/lube etc will have a sweet spot.

If it happens to be 75 or 85 grains it doesn't matter what anyone else shoots or suggests - go with whatever gives you the tightest group.

With muzzle loaders there is no "one correct standard answer".

My TC Hawken 50 cal with the 1-48 twist will shoot around an inch some times better with 90 grains of Triple Seven 2F, ox-yoke wad over powder and Hornady great plains 385 grain bullet. so you may want to try those bullets and see if the groups get smaller. My rifle will shoot maxi balls, but not as well and same for the Lee 250 grain REAL.

I would go with a smaller conical in that gun. Mine shoots best with the short maxi's from TC if I shoot conicals. I think they are 274 grains. Don't care to go digging through my stuff right now as it is too cold in the storeroom this morning. :)

I personally have not shot the R.E.A.L. but my hunting partner, back in 80s, had a 50 Renegade and that's, what he swore by. I've always liked the looks of them, but never cast any bullets, so I stuck with off the shelf bullets.

A lot depends on your eye sight, a good rest, wind, how the light is on a given day. And, it might like another bullet, better.

I would go with GALAMBs advice. Mine actually liked the 70gr charge. Each barrel is it's own....

With conicals add a Ox-yoke felt wad over powder. If the load you are using does not shoot well enough to make ya happy go heavier! I have notice that often a heavier powder charge will make those big bullets shoot better.

Back