• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C U-view powder flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shifty-eyed_one

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone who actually owns/uses one of these please respond with some feedback as to how they work? Do they hold plenty of powder? Do they have a specific, measureable spout?

Hi shifty,
It's the powder flask I started with and normally the only one I use. I believe I can load around eight or ten 90gr. full power loads from this flask before it needs refilled. I knew precisely at one time, but the memory has faded. During a normal range session, I usually have to refill it once.

It has a short fixed spout below the valve that is not meant for measuring so you should bring along something to use as a powder measure. The spout may hold something in the neighborhood of 10 to 15 grains, so it might be useful for measuring a load for a .32. On the other hand the spout is big enough that it would be hard to direct the powder into a small bore. Like I said, it's not meant for measuring.

The valve is a brass cylinder with a hole in it that is opened against a coil spring by pushing it sideways with finger pressure. Spring pressure closes the valve.

Only hangup I've ever experienced with mine is that corrosion will build up on the brass cylinder between shooting sessions and, if bad enough, may restrict cylinder movement. This usually means you can open the valve with the fingers, but the spring won't close it. You can, however, force it closed using finger pressure on the backside. Best approach before filling is to work it back and forth a few times with the fingers until it loosens up. The valve works fine if you remember to do that.

The brass, screw-on top has a plastic capplug in the middle. I suspect this is for blowout protection.

I like mine and it's held up for about 8 or 9 years now without difficulty
Bob

My T/C Clearview flask is all clear plastic with a black plastic screw-in base (just like the one Daniel Boone carried :haha: ) I like it , it's always worked fine for me :) . I would not advise anyone to load from the flask or horn . Even if you clean between every shot , I don't think it's a good habit to get into . I always use a powder measure . Everyone makes mistakes now and then . Dryballing and shooting my ramrod was bad enough , but having a powder flask blow-up in my hand , is a mistake I never want to make . :thumbsup:

Thanks fellas. I know that loading from a flask or horn is frowned upon, and I thoroughly understand the risk. In my mind, it's not worth it. :nono: However, haven't 200 years of shooters done this as a rule?

Actually, I'm just trying to get something a little less cumbersome that a whole bottle of Pyrodex to load my powder measure. I know that some of the brass flasks (or powder horn for that matter) will have measuring spouts of 30 grns or so. I was thinking that it might speed things up a little.

Latest posts

Back