• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T-C White Mt. Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacherokee54

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experiance with Thompson- Center's White Mountain Carbine? I am looking into getting one and would like anyone's thought's on them. Thanks.

Nice light little rifle. I personally don't like the factory sights because they are the "partridge type" like on many hunting guns but many hunters perfer this type of sight.

Depending on when made it could have a real fast twist barrel making somewhat of a pain to shoot roundball good in but at the same time it shoots the heavy conicals (385g+) real well.

Most of them will kill deer all day with 80g of 2F and 385g buffalo bullets if you do your job.

I hunted with a guy that had one in .50 cal. My impression of the rifle is not that great. I didn't like the sights, and the fast twist barrel will only accuratly shoot round balls with a light [60g] charge. He even liked my Lyman Deerstalker more than his WMC.

I shot my buddy's once, before it got stolen. It had the fast twist 1-22. Nice little gun, but I like a longer sight plane. Probuably good for not too far away game. Dilly

I've got one and it shoots the long 370 grain TC maxi bullet pretty darn well.If you hunt thick laurel and cedar thickets like I do its a good little rifle, but honestly you could do better.My rifle is picky about powder and charge and will not group roundballs at all.

I had one for several years and sort of wish I still had it.Like all Thompson's it was quality through out.Mine did good with round balls out to 50 yrds, and liked all the bullets I fed it.That short little barrel was great in the brush, but a little hard to hold steady for off hand shooting.

I had one too, wish I kept it. nice little gun, handled nice and shot better than I could. be great to have one for kids or women to use, or just to ride behind the seat of the truck. I've got a new englander now, same gun little bit longer barrel.

I have one, a .50. I won it at an auction. I have the TC tang peep mounted on it. I like that sight. It does take getting used to though. I can shoot conicals for sure, and I've worked up a good load for balls that is accurate at 50 yds. (I haven't had a chance to go out any further than that with limited range time.) There is a lot I like about the gun, handling wise. Around 80 2f for conicals. My load for balls is 60 3f with a .495 and 18th patches pre-lubed with moose juice - see recipe. The downsides are limits on amount of powder you can use, which affects load flexibility, which, in turn, limits accurate shot distance. I like having it because I own it, but I am always on the lookout for a longer barreled 1:48 twist or slower. By the way, it is dependable as can be - never a misfire.

.54 cal, 1 in 48 twist. Shoots rb's just fine to 50 yards, but the sight picture is too short for anything much beyond that. Very well made, quality gun. Light, easy to carry, swing on target. Definately a specialty gun for short range, heavy brush/undergrowth hunting.
413.jpg

It would help if people took that rear sight off the barrel, and replaced it with a tang sight. That would put more distance between the rear and front sights, and help the shooter "aim smaller".

Amen, Paul. A good tang sight would be a great improvement. That is on my list for someday, after I finish the .54 GPR flint kit, refinish the CVA 12 ga SxS, complete the Rogers & Spencer kit.... For now, it's a nice short range carry.

paulvallandigham said:
It would help if people took that rear sight off the barrel, and replaced it with a tang sight. That would put more distance between the rear and front sights, and help the shooter "aim smaller".

I know what you mean ,paul.
Wanted to do that to my WMC but never did. Sure does have a short sight picture. I did get used to the factory sights and shot very well with mine. I usually kept in mind to shoot under 80 yds with it. A bunch of deer fell to the little carbine.
Since I mostly shoot my GPR nowadays. the carbine rarely gets out. Might have to take her out for a spin.

More from earlier -- I have shot at 100 yds with both conical and ball from mine. I have hit within a couple of inches of the bullseye with everything out of the WMC. It's do-able. Have to have good technique and follow through. I just haven't shot enough at that distance. Based on what I can do at 50, I have confidence that with some work, 100 is to be no problem. 100 is a long way for me to see, though. For game at that distance, I would have to have a perfect shot. That's a long way for me.

paulvallandigham said:

That was the first thing I did when I bought mine. Mounted a tang peep sight. I found my .50 cal 1-20 twist a handy dandy whitetail buster the time I used it. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back