• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T-minus 5 days......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
5 days until a Hoosier may legally stalk our tall and fruitful hickory groves.

Right on schedule, the squirrels are starting to cut on a few preferred trees. I noticed today at work, just a few hickory trees were being used heavily, while the large majority are being ignored. That's the fun of mid August squirrel hunting.....finding a few "honey trees"! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to usher in another Fall hunting season in a few days.

My flints are sharp, Skychief :hatsoff:

I'm looking forward to our opening on August 20, too. Squirrels in my yard have been working on the nut trees for at least 3 weeks, mostly hickory, a few walnuts. I think the climate warming has the squirrel working the trees a fair bit earlier than usual, but F&G hasn't adjusted the season yet. They track such things, so maybe my impression is wrong.

Left barrel Skychief Special, right barrel brown paper and tow, the sneaky rascals don't have a chance this year. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

Spence

We have to wait until October to hunt them with a muzzleloader, November for the other kind of firearm.

My archery skills are not up to the job. :td:

Skychief said:
Almost feeling sorry for them will turn into not feeling sorry in the least once the gravy's warm, partner. :wink: :thumbsup:
Amen brother...go get'em y'all! ;)

Patocazador My archery skills are not up to the job. My son has an arrow stuck about 30' up in an oak tree near his home. I suspect the squirrel carcass that it pinned there is long gone said:
LOL.......robin[/url] :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
BillinOregon said:
I've never hunted them with a muzzleloader, but hope to do so soon.
me either

but they are not big enough around here to bother shooting
big enough for the cat, he eats at least one a week

Wish we had them big grey dudes that you see in the city parks. (every city I have lived in or near has the same big grey dudes that are fat and healthy looking. But I figure the municipality may take exception to someone out there playing Davey Crockett.)

Seems to me that a quality air gun would be the best way to harvest such a small critter.

Sept. 16 th opener here.

They are hammering the acorns now.

Numbers up from last year..looking better in these parts.

Aim small miss small.

AZ has some cool squirrels, google Kaibab squirrel and check em out. Lately I been hiking at about 8500-9K feet and 90% of the squirrel I see are real little ones. I recall pop always came home with a pocket full of em in deer season and they ate good but soooo small. The big tassel eared ones are great for stew etc. or a small one gets fried. Early Oct. for us.

So, anybody shoot any squirrels yet? Sure would like to see some pictures. My season will not
open until Oct.

I've gone a couple times caddo. So far none of the quarry has ventured close enough to me for a sure shot. Disturbingly, most of our victories re void of mast this year. :shake:

Hope to hear from others too, Skychief.

Season in Ohio opens on Friday. I'm hoping to leave work early and give it the old college try.

This year I plan on hunting in authentic garb too.

Tn opened on the 28th. I built a .40 but only sighted in for the range. It liked 60gr of 3F, a .40 ball with .015 ticking and shot a cloverleaf at 50 yards.

Today I worked up a squirrel load for the rifle. It didn't like 20gr and a .40 ball, didn't like 30gr and a .40 ball, it liked 30gr and a .395 ball better but when I upped the charge to 35 gr, a .395 ball and 015 ticking it started shooting through the same hole at 25yds. A little front sight filing and rear sight tapping and it is drilling the bull. Squirrel beware!

I have taken a few shots at squirrels with my deer rifles(flintlock) but never hit one. Flintlock hunting for the little rascals with a gun made for the purpose will be an adventure.

I have posted a picture of my squirrel rifle before; .40 GM 13/16", 42" barrel, Chambers late Ketland lock the most accurate rifle I own.

wioyJfA.jpg

Nice rifle, I know your going to enjoy taking it to the wood. I'll be using my smoothbore mostly due to my old eyes. That said I sure enjoy my 36 Tennesse rifle,just don't shoot it very well.l

Back