• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taggents in Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release April 27, 1999

[Q: Bruce, whatever happened to taggents? Did you consider including some kind of taggents provision into the explosives part? And why did you decide not to?

MR. REED: The Treasury Department did a study a few years ago -- I'm sorry, the Treasury Department study's still ongoing. The NAS did a recent study suggesting that there's still work to be done to demonstrate that including taggents in explosives is technologically feasible.]

Has the use of taggents ever been passed?
I can't seem to find if this has been passed or not.
Will taggents cause a problem in our muzzleloaders?
It might pose a problem in the priming pan, it depends on the taggent/powder mixture ratio and the size of the taggent itself.

Still, I not sure that I like the idea of plastic tracing devices in my gun powder. I understand that because of a few sick people, the rest of the civilized world must suffer.

I have older cans of powder (10+ years) before the taggent concept evolved, when I do buy more black powder, its off to my 1200x microscope with random samples to see it the taggents are there.

What next?
Taggents in gasoline...

What effect will any supposed "taggants" have with respect to the performance of black powder??
Further, who knows how much more it will cost to have this material added.

Black powder is NOT the explosive of choice for any knowledgeable terrorist anyway. Its performance is far below other products easily available on the black market.

My own opinion is that "taggants" in black powder, like gun lock laws, and ballistic fingerprinting is just another effort to sabotage our sport and our Constitutional rights by anti-gun forces.

This is what scares me most of all, we have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms (via SECOND AMENDMENT), nowhere does it state that we have a right to keep and bear bullets or gun powder!

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html

When the constitution was written, the accesories of a gun were taken for granted.
However, in today's twisted world of loopholes, we do not have a constitutional right for powder or ammunition.

This could be the end of our sport, if ALL bullets (any projectile) and propelants (gun powders) are outlawed, guns will become useless.

Unless they are used as clubs...

"bear arms" is a pretty wide statement. I got bows and arrows, a hawk, I lost count of the knives and big rocks if needed. I know how to make spears, deadfalls of any size and get bigger rocks if needed. Point bein' that if and when it comes to it, we can always start over with a new government. That's why we have the 2nd Ammendment!

When the second amendment was drafted "bearing arms" included bullits and gunpowder, it was just common sense. Unfortunately today's lawyers may just see it as a loophole, and common sense be d---ed!

Horse Dr.

Latest posts

Back