• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Take Down Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about a take-down flintlock to fit on a backpack or in the box behind the seat. Obviously would be a half stock. Probably octagonal to round because that outside angular profile of the barrel offers superior alignment with the stock. Anybody ever seen one? Have any ideas on a production flinter that would be suited to modification?

Tentatively was thinking about the Deerhunter, .50 cal. has a 7/8" barrel that could be turned octagonal to round to trim a little weight. The stock is black plastic and could be hollowed out if wanted. The lock is quick and extremely reliable. The barrel attachment could be modified to be hand tightened and retained by the stock.
Hee hee...my better 2/3's would probably look at it and say I couldn't put her Eotech on it.

Never heard of that concept. Any patent breech type would be a good starting place. Shorten the barrel, have turned to remove weight. Cut the stock down to shortest where you can still shoot. Would work I guess.

A hooked breech would be an obvious starting place...maybe find an old beater T/C ML and cut it down?

Thats funny-I was looking at my AR7 .22 last night and thinking how cool it would be to have a take down flinter :thumbsup:

GoodCheer said:
Thinking about a take-down flintlock to fit on a backpack or in the box behind the seat.
Maybe H&K can make you one with a folding stock. :shake: :haha:

PS:
If I was going to try such a thing, I'd use a cut down small gauge smoothbore

RoundBall,
I think you're right. A small gauge smoothie would be good for general service. Thought about it and wondered over the barrel length.

Don,t know of or ever seeing a flinter , but wasn,t the "buggy" rifle that Dale Story built and sold, a copy of a rifle made and sold durring the percussion era? :idunno:

GoodCheer said:
RoundBall,
I think you're right. A small gauge smoothie would be good for general service. Thought about it and wondered over the barrel length.
Well, not knowing exactly what you're planning to use it for, remember that there are smoothbore Flintlock pistols.
A .54 / .58 / .62cal smoothbore pistol with a 12-14" barrel could be pretty versatile with ball or shot...a little more conventional...and could be carried in a holster on the hip or lashed to a pack

Thomas Ketland was one of the more known makers who made take down flintlock officers fussils in the 1770s.The stocks were joined in much the same way asthe cva kentuckey rifle stocks .The fore end was two piece , withe a brass joiner plate inbetween.I realy dont think that they were a takedown in the modern sense ,but rather to allow the gun to be easily broken down for transport in an officers trunk . :thumbsup:

Got a howdah from pedersoli,it is 62cal/20g...does real well with shot on tree bacon at short range....PRB is good only to less than 25yds....barrels are not regulated @ all but I haven't shot PRB all that much....yet :thumbsup:

There are a fair number of 18th century German take down rifles. They used a two piece stock with the joint in the wrist. The butt comes off. :wink:

Latest posts

Back