• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkinde

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Would it be appropriate for an old dude like me to use a tang mounted peep sight for when my target gets out to the 100 yrd. range. I was thinking about putting a fold down peep on the tang and using my regular iron sight for close range. My peepers aren't what they used to be. Can I get a tang mounted peep sight anywhere?

Elkinde said:
Would it be appropriate for an old dude like me to use a tang mounted peep sight for when my target gets out to the 100 yrd. range.

It's appropriate for you to do what ever you want to do...we do this for enjoyment...go mount your peep and enjoy!!
:thumbsup:

I have a T/C Peep on one of my Renegades and find it very helpful. As for what someone else might say, well it is my rifle... :grin:

In fairness to the game(hunting) a 30% increase in accuracy is a good thing! :winking:

At one time I had a peep sight on a '94 winchester 30-30. Well, that dang peep cost me a deer. The thing with a peep for hunting...take that aperture out, the hole it screws into is small enough. I have taken deer that way out to 100 yards and if you get one a lot closer you can see where you are aiming instead of just a mass of brown hair.

A variety of apertures (Big game, twilight) combined with a Lyman Target(17 ATC) insert front sight cures that problem nicely!

Hay buddy funny you should ask,
I just put a tang peep on my 54cal TVM LEMAN
from track of the wolf. You tap an drill your barrel for it And it is perod correct and dang does it add accrecy(spelling) sorry
If you are interested let me know I will give you the parts # and it looks really sharp.
I put a front globe on as well I really dig it

Thanks for the great info. Just came back from Track of the Wolf and they have an amazing selection of just about everything I might want. I'm beginning to turn this muzzle loading thing from using up my spending money to an investment caliber hobby. But it feels good! Bang Boom!

I have put the full buckhorn from TOW on two rifles, and love it. It is designed to be mounted down the bbl just like an open primitive. Had forgotten just how clear that front sight could be seen.

Can't post a link, but you can find it in TOW sight section.

Greenmtnboy
You got my attention with that peep sight from track what is the order number,please. My old eyes need some help. :winking: Rocky

Rocky J said:
Greenmtnboy
You got my attention with that peep sight from track what is the order number,please. My old eyes need some help. :winking: Rocky
Hay buddy sorry I havent got back to guys i was out of town for a few hangin with CoyoteJoe spending money at a gun show.
OK I will !!!! promise get that part ## for you all tonight and post it tomorow. I am in a coffee shop here in Gunnison . I live off the grid and don't have computer access at home
:hatsoff:

Hay guys here is the # for the peep
It's called a long strap peep sight #RS-MA on Page
I also used a very low globe sight that is called a Swiss globe #FS- swiss page255
You will need a low sight. I had to crank up my peep to gain the right elivation.
With the Swiss globe you can turn out the post and file off the excess. They look very sharp, helps with accuracy,and is peroid correct.
:hatsoff:

Peep is the way to go, beats an open rear sight in every way. I have open sights on rifles I use for primitive match rules but would not hunt with one.
I like a 1/8" aperture, it's quick and works when the light is too dim for an open sight. It needs to be rigidly mounted, folders may be partially folded and not noticed when you're concentrating on the game. You also need to entirely remove the open rear, get it out of the way so you can see all you should be seeing through the peep.

Joe is right. If you take the aperture out of the windage base, you get a wonderful ghost ring, that does everything you need to do with a BP rifle hunting. Very accurate way to shoot.

What rifle do you want to put it on? T/C has one and so does Lyman. They should be adaptable to some others.
So I bought a D.Pedersoli Creedmore sight with peep and it looks awesome on my Traditions Hawken 50cal. Used it on my my Rem. Rolling Block replica muzzleloader. which makes more sense for shooting 100+ yrds. Problem is I love the Traditions Hawken and may end up selling the Creedmore sight. Know anyone that might be interested?

Back