• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

target sighting rb pb and real

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwwintx

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just went to the range and shot different types of bullets, round ball, real bullets, and power belt. know knowing that some guns shoot different bullets better than others. mine shoots groups that are 5 to six inches apart at 50 yards. power belt in the middle, reals 1 to 2 inches to the right and round ball up 2 ro 3 and 3 or 4 to the left. Is it me or is this much variation possible I want to shoot rb because of cost but why does it fling them up in the corner, seems like it don't like them rb. hints on loading would be helpful thanks rww :: rb are .490 with pillow ticking with lite amount of bore butter on the patches. gun is a cva. Bobcat. :hmm:

Normal for a rifle or pistol to shoot to different point of impact with different types of bullets and balls. In fact it would be weird if it didn't. Were you expecting the rifle to be zero'd for three different types of projectiles?

Just adjust your sights accordingly...if you want to shoot round ball, then that's what you adjust your sights for. Then the slugs will be "in the corner".

Which one did you get the smallest group with? Again, different types of bullets will rarely land in the same place....and round balls are going to have a different POI than bullets. That's a very normal variation.

Rat

I am guessing all this shooting was done off a bench rest...

Did you swab the barrel between shots or at least when you changed projectiles? The more a rifle fowls the different groups it will shoot. Bore Butter is a good patch lube, and the fact you used only as much as you needed, is a good thing. At least in my rifles. I use a liquid patch lube called Moosemilk which is the best thing I ever found.

I have a Mountain Stalker in .54 caliber which is the Bass Pro Shop version of the CVA Bobcat. I found the best accuracy with 80-85 grains of Triple Se7en or Goex FFFg powder. A wonderwad, then a moosemilk patched roundball. In fact the accuracy out of the rifle is excellent.

When I shoot REAL conicals out of it I shoot the 300 grain and if I load then with only 70 grains of powder, homemade Moose Snot (I like those names Stumpkiller) and a wonderwad under them, they shoot almost to the same place as the roundball, but can not match the group.

Decide what projectile groups the best and with what load then start changing the sights on the rifle.... I put a set of cheap fiber optics on mine (Wal-Mart -- Star Dot Fiber Optics), but the old ones did work real good actually. It is just that at dusk I had a hard time seeing them in the marsh with my eye sight...

Good luck with your rifle....

My Bobcat puts round balls and Buffalo's 245 grain Ballettes into the same group with charge weights between 50 and 75 grains of Pyrodox RS. With 777 neither one lands anywhere close to the other. Try a different powder. My object is to have a deer load of say 75/80 grains of powder driving the ballettes and a knockabout load of 40/50 grains of powder throwing the round balls into the same group at 50 yards. I believe it is safe to assume the 777 won't be the winner here. :hmm:

Why not just save yourself some money, and use the round balls with a little more powder for deer too. They will get the job done as well, or better than the ball-etts. I tried the Ball-etts in a .54 cal on deer and didn't like the results. Punched right through a large mule deer with no signs of expansion. On the other hand, i have found round balls to expand and actually seem to put the deer down better. And round balls cost about 1/2 as much as the Ball-etts, so you can do more shooting. :m2c:

I agree with Rebel... You will have to work up a load, but the good ol' patched roundball has been a good game getter for many a'years...

thanks everyone, went to bass pro and bought 100 rb and .018 pre lubed pillow ticking. ready for the next time at the range. i do think as i am almost out of 777 and i'm going to buy pyrodex. have een shooting 75 grains of powder. had changed to fire sights last weekend and i love them, these old eyes have a lot of trouble seeing the blade sights. any how buy more flowers got my wife some and she said i could have anything i wanted in bed, best nights sleep me and the muzzleloader had together. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Rat's got it right.
Remember, barrel harmonics will cause the muzzle to be in different places with different weight projectiles and powder charges/velocities/ This is as true for bp as for modern smokeless weapons. When fired the barrel whips, a little or a lot depending on how it is bedded. You get a tight group when everything is the same for every shot. Change one, single thing and you have to start over. Theoretically changing caps would do this also, but that is probably the one thing that will cause the smallest change in poi. Changing from a prb to a heavy conical will change the poi a lot. The rate of twist is also different for prb and conicals. A barrel will either do one or the other well. Some, like the 1 in 48" rate of my TC Hawken will do only fair on either. No barrel will be really accurate using both.
Jim
Jim

Latest posts

Back