• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tassle for voyagers hat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A question came up at my last get together that I thought might be interesting to pose to the group. The date is 1820 something in the rocky mountains and the hat is a knitted wool cap worn by mountian men and french trappers. Did it have a tassle and how long does the pointed tip of the hat extend downwards? Colors of the typical hat of the day would be nice too. I heard the French trappers used to stow tobacco twists in the pointy end of the hat.
Any help with this would be appreciated.

Regards

According to Hanson, the tuques of the fur trade era didn't have tassels. Check out the sketch books that Hanson printed.

I haven't seen tassles ever for them. I've seen them with a little ball on the end. It looks kinda like a night cap, but I do have to admit I doubt that is historically accurate. Though it could be, I mean making a little balll on the end would definately be a good use for extra material so it wouldn't unwind or fray.

Back