• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC 1/48 barrel twist on Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryan said:
Now, I'm going to ask this question and I want everyone who is familiar with T/C Hawken to be be honest, but...

Right now Cabela's has their Hawken rifles for $399.00 and I got a $20 off coupon and $23 in Cabela's credit, so I can score one for around $360 shipped.

It's not a Thompson Center, which is what I want, however is this such a lesser substitute?

I might just be letting the Hawken itch get to me so bad that I'm willing to settle for less, so if anyone wants to talk me out of it... Oh and by the way everyone....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

We in my house pronounce it "Merry Christmas", not "happy holidays". :thumbsup:

It looks like you already know the answer! But you do what makes you satisfied not anyone else.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Bryan said:
Now, I'm going to ask this question and I want everyone who is familiar with T/C Hawken to be be honest, but...

I'd hold out for a T/C Hawken...in fact, all I ever bought were used ones that were either in like new condition or that I refinished.
The lifetime warranty makes buying a used one a lower risk decision than anything else...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would much rather have the T/C. Great quality, life time warranty. Worth it, almost! The prices HAVE gotten to gall darn high, but that's all guns.

Bryan said:
Awesome! That was just the answer I've been looking for. I love how knowledgeable and helpful everyone is on this forum, unlike some others that I frequent for my bolt guns and semi autos.

Now, the only other thing about their post is they listed the TC Hawken at $500 price range.... WHERE OH WHERE can I get a TC HAWKEN for that price!!??

I bought the stock on this rifle on ebay for $175.00. I bought the new roundball barrel (50 cal. 1 in 66 twist 32" long) from TC for $185.00 plus $14.95 shipping. I installed primative sights on the barrel for $35.00. That makes $410.00 in the rifle.

100_0455B.jpg

I bought this rifle with the original barrel in a Pawn Shop for $100.00. I refinished the stock with Birchwood Casey Rusty Wallnut stain.

100_0415.jpg

Robert

Right now Cabela's has their Hawken rifles for $399.00 and I got a $20 off coupon and $23 in Cabela's credit, so I can score one for around $360 shipped.

That rifle is built for Cabelas by Investarms of Italy. They also make the Lyman GPR rifles and the Lyman Trade rifles. The Cabelas Hawken is (I think!) the same as the Lyman Trade rifle. It has the shorter barrel, single barrel key and 1:48 twist barrel.

I traded for one of the Cableas Hawkens at a gun show. Did not really want the gun but wanted to get rid of some old Milsurps. did a straight across (my stuff was worth $240) and got a like new rifle in .54. Ended up selling that to a friend who had never fired a ml rifle. Off he went to the range and next time I saw him he was beaming and showing off some great targets.

So, long story short (too late for that, huh? :) ), It seems to be a pretty good rifle. The purchase of a good used TC has great merit, but you will not be unhappy with the Cableas Hawken. They also have them in the kit form if you want to go that way.

My son and i have had a couple of TC hawkens. Found the button rifling accurate but patch and ball size very fussy compared to deeper grooved cut rifled barrels. Ive never been afraid to buy a good used TC because of the customer service they provided and interchangable parts. Time will tell what their moving from NH to Mass will do.

Finding them used is the way to go, you just have to dig a little. In your area look at The Papershop, the weekly classified ragmag in all the minimarts. I have bought several great guns out of there for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Also, hit Craiglist, and don't be afraid to post what you are after in any forum that allows it, I have also bought or traded for many guns that were not for sale. Just a few tidbits on prices, I bought a new renegade in 1984 for $211.00, and I paid two friends to wire and plumb my house in 1999, the deal was they each got a new gun from me of their choice. One guy wanted a Remington 700, the other wanted a TC Hawken, which cost me $429.00, about half of what they want now ! Good Huntin'

Back