• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC .54 model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what model this TC .54 is? Maybe an early renegade?
The serial # is 13429.
Thanks
Timber

Attachments

• B49182C8-D72A-44D5-B9A3-2827DDA3691D.jpeg
    B49182C8-D72A-44D5-B9A3-2827DDA3691D.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 59D6F953-3E47-4EBA-BE6E-DF21D39AB01C.jpeg
    59D6F953-3E47-4EBA-BE6E-DF21D39AB01C.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 0
Yes it is a renegade you can tell by the flat butt plate and no nosecap. TC had a fire and all the records were lost so you can't look up serial numbers but that is an early number.

Thanks Sam! I actually took the butt plate off and there is a number 607 on both the wood and engraved in the backside of the plate. Any ideas on that?
EF8CDC0E-18E5-4B18-A198-6C5674BA2C38.jpeg

Early Renegade wearing a nice piece of walnut. They didn't use that little rear sight very long.

It’s either a kit or refinished. Why do people attack the lock panels like they owe them money? Damn people! Don’t do that!!

So from the other thread on Sharon barrels I think that’s what I have here also.
Timber

Attachments

• C4F97A19-C4B8-43ED-941D-8CF24D652F5E.jpeg
    C4F97A19-C4B8-43ED-941D-8CF24D652F5E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Ok. The lock panel is the raised area surrounding the lock. Also it’s the corresponding raised area on the opposite side of the stock. This picture shows the panel and the edge of the panel which should be sharp with a clear edge. Many, if not most amateur stock finishers attack the area with sandpaper and round over and break the edges. Nasty… the renegade is not a bad finish but the edges on the Rigby are what they all should look like…
19B1CF97-E679-40C3-AD7D-1C369566CF55.jpeg
E456784F-46D4-498A-8AD0-A3827ABD12DA.jpeg

Ok. The lock panel is the raised area surrounding the lock. Also it’s the corresponding raised area on the opposite side of the stock. This picture shows the panel and the edge of the panel which should be sharp with a clear edge. Many, if not most amateur stock finishers attack the area with sandpaper and round over and break the edges. Nasty… the renegade is not a bad finish but the edges on the Rigby are what they all should look like…
Oh ok yep I know what you mean, thanks for reply

Ok. The lock panel is the raised area surrounding the lock. Also it’s the corresponding raised area on the opposite side of the stock. This picture shows the panel and the edge of the panel which should be sharp with a clear edge. Many, if not most amateur stock finishers attack the area with sandpaper and round over and break the edges. Nasty… the renegade is not a bad finish but the edges on the Rigby are what they all should look like…View attachment 177178View attachment 177179
I am currently working on a couple of .45 cal pistol kits I picked up and one of them had the lock panels sanded round like the shape of the stock. The wood came straight back from the front to the lock with no definition. The other was sanded down but not as bad as the first. So many of these have had that done to them. I enjoy the challenge of resurrecting these things. At least the ones that can be resurrected.

Nice early Renegade!
Regarding your barrel, Here is something that I read here on this site a few days ago while researching barrels. This was reportedly info from a longtime TC employee that had a lot of knowledge about what has taken place at TC over the the years.

Attachments

• 834DE9D5-DB52-4177-AA94-1D10EFB6BDC6.jpeg
    834DE9D5-DB52-4177-AA94-1D10EFB6BDC6.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 0
Interesting stuff elkstalker!
I wonder what the spade indicates now
Timber
There were several markings like this and a bu ch if rumors for what they mean. The markings that I am aware of so far are the spade, star, heart, diamond, cross, M and T. All of my TC’s have had the M marking. I’ve read different theories on what the various stamps signified, but the one that made the most sense was that it was just the stamp in the drawer of that particular inspector. That is, if the information I posted above is correct. Many people still swear that Sharon made Hawken and Renegade barrels. It may be something we never get figured out.

Back