• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen Face Texture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Getting close to finishing my first flint lock kit build, an old CVA 45 Kentucky pistol I bought way way back in the late 70's. Be my first go around with shooting a flint firearm. Question is what should be the surface texture on the frizzen. Figure it should have some roughness. The face on the CVA frizzen is sort of semi-smooth with a few vertical lines in it. Should it be roughed up more with vertical lines or would horizontal lines give a better spark. Horizontal lines I'm thinking would wear the flint more. In roughing it, what is the best way to go at it and what to use. Appreciate any input.

👍 Thank ya Phil for the pic, that's similar to what the frizzen on my CVA looks like now with a few less lines. I have a Kibler SMR (still in box to finish) and checked the frizzen looks pretty similar. Once a shooter has taken alot of shots (no idea how many) do ya have to smooth the frizzen up some with sandpaper?

On a fine lock like the Kibler I wouldn’t expect to do anything to the frizzen for a couple of generations. A lesser lock that may come much sooner.

Back