• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Firestorm Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have often wonderd if the moderators ever get tired of brownnosing when some of these topics come up that really have little place here if indeed we are to keep the tradition alive? I guess it is part of the definition of moderator, which becomes mediator, yet the modern stuff keeps sliding through.I think the forum should have kept the modern ML forum (in-line forum is a poor choice of words for describing the new guns it is self limiting to ignition type which is not an issue performance wise) so all the non traditional stuff, [plastic stocks/pellets modern bullets and hightech sights and such) could be talked about there and the traditional folks could talk about the traditional guns /gear on the appropriate forums

tg said:
I have often wonderd if the moderators ever get tired of brownnosing when some of these topics come up that really have little place here...

I'll let the Moderators answer for themselves, but I sure get tired of reading rude comments about the Moderators and how the Forum is run.

There are much more polite ways to offer suggestions.

Paul arnt we required by law to report all explosives on the 911 information paper?I did and also talked to the local fire department to see if it were ok to store blackpowder in the garage.
I know i could have other things out there in the garage that could go boom in a fire but im guesen most fire departments would expect that most garages could have gas in lawn mowers or weed eaters or even some in a red container,but i doubt most would guess that theres 12 lbs of powder in a metal toolbox waiting to go poof or maybe boom.My tool box with cans of powder is on wood blocks with a lid that has a inch of play in it.If that would help in a big blaze i dont know but at least they know there is black powder stored there.
I would hate for a voulenter fire fighter to get injured because i was too much of a bonehead to let them know it was there.
TC firestorm,i wont even touch that topic with a 10 foot pole. Been hangen around here long enough to know better :haha:

tg said:
I have often wonderd if the moderators ever get tired of brownnosing...

Sir, (and I use the term loosely).
I resent being called a "brownnose" and feel the remark is totally uncalled for.

The forum you are at has stated its rules about what may and what may not be discussed several times so the subject does not need to be stated here once again.

Perhaps if the subject matter of our posts offends you, you should consider visiting some other forum that only deals with the guns and accouterments that interest you?

Another approach is to use your own judgment after you have read the first post.
If it offends you read no further.
Doing this will remove your need to make rude and derogatory remarks.
We all will be happier. :)

I figure a church that erects a sign that says "NO SINNERS ALLOWED" doesn't have much hope of changing anything for the better.

Sure, I've bit my tongue near clean off some times hereabouts and not said what I've wanted. That's just part of growing up.

Is a T/C Firestorm what I consider a "Traditional Muzzleloader"? No. But some states would for their hunting regulations. As would some folks hereabouts. It's got a sidelock. Loads from the muzzle. Holds a round ball. Works with black powder and even takes a flint. That's a traditional muzzleloader so far. Has a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. Well, 70% traditional ain't bad. It's got adjustable sights, it's got coil springs, it's got a vent liner, will work with "synthetic" powders, has a non-hickory rammer, the barrel is not iron welded around a mandrel, power tools were used in its manufacture . . . Oh, oh. Now we're getting into pickier nits.

Brown-noser? I'm certainly not letting non-traditional tainted posts in to please Claude. What's he gonna do? Cut my pay? Give me a bad reference? And that would be the only direction my nose would be brownable from. Lord knows I give him gray hairs regularly. I'm pretty sure I speak my mind often enough that I don't have to explain my position. I'm just happy to help as I can because I appreciate the great site he's built and keeps afloat.

I don't want to alienate new potential traditional muzzleloaders by being a jerk to newcomers. After they've been here a year - then I'll be a jerk to them. :blah:

Well I don’t know much, yet. But I am learning and one thing for sure if it were not for the Moderators and Claude, I would have quit. At least I would have quit the Muzzleloading Forum. I also got some very encouraging posts from the Private Section.
I still see no reason to trash another’s equipment with down right rude comments. No one is making another use stuff they don’t want to. If an individual hates TC Firestorms so bad leave’em alone. Mine has taught me things about flintlocks that I didn’t know before. It has also taught me things that contradict some of the “advice” I got from the experts. It’s OK to poke a little fun at things but there is a point where good manners should take control.
Thanks guys I appreciate all you do!

BTW, this is a general responce and not aimed at anyone. I just used the rply button that was there.

I have often wonderd if the moderators ever get tired of brownnosing

If you mean do we get tired of ignoring rude and tasteless comments, yes, I am beginning to. I've lost respect for you today tg. :shake:

If I say that the moderators do a very good job, sometimes dealing with very difficult personalities, am I brown-nosing?
If so...OK.
Pete

The mistake is limiting yourself. I have a .270 wood stock blued, that I love, but I also shoot Stainless-synthetic. Same with MLs. I shoot both Inlines ( Rem 700 ML and Triumph) and traditional (T/C Hawkins Caplock, andT/C Flint lock) and mixtures, like the Fire Storm (and Cabela's spiffy little caplock hunter, as well as a Traditions Buckskinner, both terrific in thick cover). Do you love what you shoot, then use it. My Fire Storm may not be completely traditional, but what is, and where do you draw the line. Just enjoy the sport, and enjoy your rifle.

This is my sentiment exactly. But what I have a hard time understanding is why some folks here get so upset, downright rude, if you don’t adhere to their conception of what a flintlock rifle is.

Here in the verdant desert, we have plenty of stores that carry GOEX in all F's. Hs never been a problem to get here. Also, having grown up in SoCal, one could even procure GOEX BP with no problem.

ebiggs said:
This is my sentiment exactly. But what I have a hard time understanding is why some folks here get so upset, downright rude, if you don’t adhere to their conception of what a flintlock rifle is.

There is no disputing what a flintlock rifle is, but there are some clear misconceptions as to what era some modern reproductions fit into. Many of today's flintlocks don't meet the criteria for a "historical reproduction", but people will insist that they are "traditional" simply because they "load down the muzzle". Gag me. :barf:

When we joined here we all agreed to the rules.

#2 states:

"The main focus of this site is "Traditional Muzzleloading"; The history of the people, the muzzleloading weapons and battles, up to and including the American Civil War. (From the inception of firearms through 1865)"

So, we are here to primarily discuss muzzleloaders from the period of 1865 and older.

HOWEVER, we also agreed to not make personal attacks on other members. Discussions and debates are splendid. Just keep it civil and you will find the staff here pretty darned tolerant. I have been on other sites that "disappear" your posts, or your user ID, without comment or warning for the slightest infraction.

We allow a huge leeway in interpretation of "traditional". Outwardly similar to known examples from the pre-1865 date seems to be a good compromise.

Heck, we're a muzzleloading site and we even allow percussion revolvers - which are not muzzleloaders but are instead cylinder-face-loaders. :haha:

Cut us some slack. It's hard to enforce such gray areas as internal lock mechanisms and metalurgy. If you are offended on either extreme - too restrictive or too liberal - go watch television or skip over the threads that bother you. Sheesh. We're here to learn and have fun. Relax.

Back