• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC firestorm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Couldn't decide whether post here or in smoothbore. So here it going. Moderator move if nessary.

I have a TC firestorm in .50 flinter. I wonder how feasible would it be to have rifling removed to make it smoothbore. I have other .50 rifles and now 2 12 gauge shot guns muzzleloaders.

I the firestorm ugly with stainless barrel and synthetic stock but nan a removable breech plug is nice and got me thinking maybe find out if 20 gauge be to big of bore.

Whay say you?

While it is a flintlock that thing is too space age for most on here. My personal opinion. If you've no use for it and there is nothing wrong with it making it need the bore altered, rehome it to someone who will appreciate it. Several collectors of the TC's on here myself included.
Then put those funds towards a 20ga flint of your choice.

Also, the way those are made in the breech end it may not even be possible to mod one like that.

bobby hoyt will make it .55 smoothy, 28ga 62 gn. 3f over powder card.28ga shotcup, can cut off piston, 1 1/8oz #6 1/2" fiber soaked olive oil on top of shot. squirrels dont like it. yrs past took .56 t/c made it into flinter works well for rabit also. have fun. mike

While it is a flintlock that thing is too space age for most on here. My personal opinion. If you've no use for it and there is nothing wrong with it making it need the bore altered, rehome it to someone who will appreciate it. Several collectors of the TC's on here myself included.

Also, the way those are made in the breech end it may not even be possible to mod one like that.
Appreciate the TC Firestorms here. I’ve cut a few back to get ride of the QLA muzzle counterbore they all seem to have had, then you only had to remount the front sight and shorten the under barrel rib and ram rod. With the QLA most (if not off center) shoot conicals pretty well, but were just a PIA to use with patched roundballs in my experience. Also removed the pyramid shaped cone on the face of the breech plug (it was there to ‘assist’ in ignition of pellets) and when setting up for younger/smaller shooters, remove the butt pad and replace it with a thinner one. Shortening the stock to less a less than ~12-1/2” LOP~ is doable, just a PIA with the hollow Tupperware (another bankrupt company) stock. Did one a few months ago for a buddy’s 12 year old son. Just heard he got his first deer with it.

As far as reboring, you can’t enlarge the bore much because of the 5/8” (forget the pitch and I am not in the mood to check) breech plug threads, but one can easily be opened up to a smooth bore for around $100.

Don’t see Firestorms as collected items, but if someone has a decent 20 gauge smoothbore that they would trade for one with an $100 tossed it might make sense as a break even deal, but personally not interested. Just prefer to use getting a young shooter/hunter started. Currently have one (maybe unfired) sitting in the safe.

Why i don't care if i modify it. I have kibler .32 smr. Thoght be interesting project. If i could bore even to 54 smooth or just remove the rifling be versatile gun for small game.

Appreciate the TC Firestorms here. I’ve cut a few back to get ride of the QLA muzzle counterbore they all seem to have had, then you only had to remount the front sight and shorten the under barrel rib and ram rod. With the QLA most (if not off center) shoot conicals pretty well, but were just a PIA to use with patched roundballs in my experience. Also removed the pyramid shaped cone on the face of the breech plug (it was there to ‘assist’ in ignition of pellets) and when setting up for younger/smaller shooters, remove the butt pad and replace it with a thinner one. Shortening the stock to less a less than ~12-1/2” LOP~ is doable, just a PIA with the hollow Tupperware (another bankrupt company) stock. Did one a few months ago for a buddy’s 12 year old son. Just heard he got his first deer with it.

As far as reboring, you can’t enlarge the bore much because of the 5/8” (forget the pitch and I am not in the mood to check) breech plug threads, but one can easily be opened up to a smooth bore for around $100.

Don’t see Firestorms as collected items, but if someone has a decent 20 gauge smoothbore that they would trade for one with an $100 tossed it might make sense as a break even deal, but personally not interested. Just prefer to use getting a young shooter/hunter started. Currently have one (maybe unfired) sitting in the safe.
Cutting back get ridebof the barrel but the front sight relocation be a challenge. I got it new unfired for cheap.

Latest posts

Back