• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken 45 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncrichie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all, I have posted some questions also on the flintlock page but this specific one is more hunting related. Does a .45 PRB and a reasonable amount of fffBP have enough stuff to take down a PA white tail? Thanks in advance. Uncrichie...

Hello all, I have posted some questions also on the flintlock page but this specific one is more hunting related. Does a .45 PRB and a reasonable amount of fffBP have enough stuff to take down a PA white tail? Thanks in advance. Uncrichie...

Without question...both the patched ball and the 255grn maxi-hunter are outstanding...the loads I happen to use are:

Round ball load for typical 25-75yds:
90grns Goex FFFg (3F)
Oxyoke wonderwad
.018" TC prelubed pillow ticking
Hornady .440 ball

and for longer ranges:

90grns FFg (2F)
Oxyoke wonderwad
TC 255grn Maxi-Hunter (not maxi-ball)

Have taken deer with both...a great caliber

yes of course thats wat its made for its gun remember?!!but any way im a noob to the muzzleloading world

It certainly will. As far as "reasonable amount" of powder you might get mixed answers. I'd go with whatever gives the best accuracy in the 70 to 90 gr. range. A bigger caliber won't make up for a poor shot, but with the smaller .45 you should keep to 75 or 80 yards and strive for a good angle.

Latest posts

Back