• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken with 209 conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim foley

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a tc hawken for a good price in my area but it has a 209 conversion kit installed on it. Does anyone know if the can be converted back.I have only seen pics of the gun. Im meeting him monday to look at it

If it's the same unit I saw long ago, it's nothing more than a dealybob you screw into the breech rather than a regular nipple. If that's the case, you should be able to screw it back out and install a real nipple.

A friend of mine thought it was the best thing since sliced bread when we saw one of them things in around 1980. He bought on and put it on his 45cal T/C Hawken. It unscrewed with a knurled top. The thing was a real PIA. You had to of course unscrew it to reload the gun. The first deer season he dropped it in the snow. It became a disaster, until I realized that I was carrying a nipple wrench and extra nipple. I can't remember though how we got the remains of the thing off of the gun though. Anyhow,if you have ignition problems, you still have problems if you need this to fix. JMHO. If you have a clean gun and flash channel that is oil and crud free and are using real proper BP and if you still have ignition problems, I am not sure I can help you. :surrender: This item was a gimick to me that was the answer to a problem that shouldn't exist.

+1 tear it off and throw it down the sewer. it was an answer to something that was never a question. i've bought a few "wonderous innovations" from time to time and usually end up changing things back.

I didnt even know such a critter existed. Never had ignition problems as long as the rifle is maintained properly.

I remember DGW had those listed in their catalogue at one time. It may still be there, I just haven't looked in their catalogue in a while. Dixie has always listed quirky novelty gizmos, and this is no different. The installation was described as simply removing the old nipple and screwing in the primer nipple, so I assume the reverse is true.

Isn't it amazing how people tend to take a simple system and fudge it all up with junk like this? These primer nipples are expensive compared to "real" nipples, primers cost much more than caps, and the whole thing is inherently problematic! K.I.S.S :rotf: Bill

i've seen conversions that take a small rifle primer with a knurled cap that holds the primer in place. i thought that would be the next best thing to sliced bread UNTIL i tried to cap it with frozen hands and lost the knurled cap in the snow.

gizmo, gimmick, novelty, these always seemed like a solution to a problem that didnt exist to me

one type of marketing is based on telling you that you have a probelm or asking you if youre tired of dealing with your problem then selling you the end all solution to that problem, not available in stores by the way...call now!

Back